how does this 2 poles rotary switch work ?

hello guys, i would like please to know how does this 2 poles 6positions rotary switch work ? and how to connect it ? i know how the 1 poles 12 positions work for data sheet it's in this same link : http://www.ekt2.com/products/productdetails?ProductId=ea68d7ec-c658-4803-a280-b3610a22779f

firashelou: i know how the 1 poles 12 positions work

A 6-position switch works the same. Six mechanical positions and two electrically independent 1x6 switches.

Those switches come in 1x12, 2x6, and 4x4. You can see which one it is by the number of "common" pins in the center. 1, 2, or 4. Leo..

The 2-pole 6-throw switch has an internal limiter so that it only turns half as far as the 1P12T version. 6 of the outputs on one side are alternately connected to one of the center pins and the 6 on the other side connect to the other center pin.

If you only need a 2P5T switch, you can put in a limit plug in the holes around the shaft to prevent it turning to the last position (or whatever number of throws you want.) They used to come with a plug but I haven't seen one in years. A piece of wire or plastic jammed in the hole works.

thanks for reply, can you please give me a link or something on how to do this ? i didn't get much what should i do :/

firashelou: can you please give me a link or something on how to do this

Of how to do what.

What do you want to do with a 6-position switch. Leo..

Wawa: Of how to do what.

What do you want to do with a 6-position switch. Leo..

i am making a menu switch means if i switch to position 1 it will give me let's say the temperature on the display then if i switch to 2 it will give something else etc ...

so is there anyway of having 6 positions switch with 1 pole instead of 2 because i think it's easier to work with it and i don't know how the 2 poles work anyway and so far did not find some good explanation on google

Just use half of the the 2x6.

Measure which contacts are connected with a DMM set to "beep". The common contacts are in the middle. This image might help. http://www.zen22142.zen.co.uk/Prac/2p6w_contacts.jpg

To use with the Arduino. connect the common to ground, and the six contacts to six digital input pins with pullup enabled. Look at the state of the pins in your code.

It might be easier to use a single push button, connected to one digital input. And step through as many menus as you want. Leo..

Wawa: Just use half of the the 2x6.

Measure which contacts are connected with a DMM set to "beep". The common contacts are in the middle. This image might help. http://www.zen22142.zen.co.uk/Prac/2p6w_contacts.jpg

To use with the Arduino. connect the common to ground, and the six contacts to six digital input pins with pullup enabled. Look at the state of the pins in your code.

It might be easier to use a single push button, connected to one digital input. And step through as many menus as you want. Leo..

i do not know how this rotary work ! i never saw one or have one ! all i have is a 1/12 rotary which i know now how to work with it and how it works, i use resistors and i connect it to 1 analog and then get the values so i need to make this same procedure but for just 6 positions so how does this 6 position work ? how is the structure ?

So you used a resistor string and the analogue input with your 12-position switch.

A 6-position switch is exactly the same.

http://letsmakerobots.com/files/field_primary_image/P7011665.JPG? Leo..

Wawa: So you used a resistor string and the analogue input with your 12-position switch.

A 6-position switch is exactly the same.

http://letsmakerobots.com/files/field_primary_image/P7011665.JPG? Leo..

oops ! one sec ! so this 2/6 rotary is like 2 rotary of 1/6 each in 1 package ?! and about the rotation it will be half the way and not 360 degrees ?! and the angle is still 30 degrees and not 60 ?!

firashelou: so this 2/6 rotary is like 2 rotary of 1/6 each in 1 package ?!

and about the rotation it will be half the way and not 360 degrees ?! and the angle is still 30 degrees and not 60 ?!

Yes.

Yes, 180 degrees rotation for a 2x6. Every click is 30 degrees for a 1x12, 2x6, or 4x4. Leo..

Hi,

The 2-pole 6-throw switch has an internal limiter so that it only turns half as far as the 1P12T version

Sorry its not internal, if you look that where the shaft comes out of the switch you will see a washer that has a bent tab on it, it keys into holes that are in the switch body that surround the spindle. Where you place the tab selects where the end stop is of the switch. So you can have 2 pole, 2pos, 3pos, 4pos, 5 pos or 6pos. Do not loose the washer because without it, you will be able to turn the switch through the full 12 positions.. The tab on yours will be positioned to give 6 positions, note and mark where it is located, in case the washer falls out during fitting the switch. Pole A, switches to position 1,2,3,4,5,6 Pole B, switches to position 7,8,9,10,11,12

Use a DMM to prove it.

i never saw one or have one ! all i have is a 1/12 rotary which i know now how to work with it and how it works, i use resistors and i connect it to 1 analog and then get the values so i need to make this same procedure but for just 6 positions so how does this 6 position work ?

If all you have is a 1pole 12 position, then you move the washer to give you 6 instead of 12 postions.' Then use A as common and positions 1,2,3,4,5,6

You linked us to a 2pole 6pos switch, but now you say you have 1pole 12pos switch, which is it? I have provided in for for both in this post.

Tom.... :)

Hi,
I did a quick screen dump from a non relevant youtube video.
I shows how the terminals are divided up for various switch configurations.

Tom… :slight_smile:

rotarysw.jpg

Wawa:
Yes.

Yes, 180 degrees rotation for a 2x6.
Every click is 30 degrees for a 1x12, 2x6, or 4x4.
Leo…

well seems not ! i just bought the rotary switch that i showed in the link above, it has 8 clicks ! what does this mean ?!

TomGeorge:
Hi,
Sorry its not internal, if you look that where the shaft comes out of the switch you will see a washer that has a bent tab on it, it keys into holes that are in the switch body that surround the spindle.
Where you place the tab selects where the end stop is of the switch.
So you can have 2 pole, 2pos, 3pos, 4pos, 5 pos or 6pos.
Do not loose the washer because without it, you will be able to turn the switch through the full 12 positions…
The tab on yours will be positioned to give 6 positions, note and mark where it is located, in case the washer falls out during fitting the switch.
Pole A, switches to position 1,2,3,4,5,6
Pole B, switches to position 7,8,9,10,11,12

Use a DMM to prove it.
If all you have is a 1pole 12 position, then you move the washer to give you 6 instead of 12 postions.’
Then use A as common and positions 1,2,3,4,5,6

You linked us to a 2pole 6pos switch, but now you say you have 1pole 12pos switch, which is it?
I have provided in for for both in this post.

Tom… :slight_smile:

hahahahahaha !!!
damn ! this info is Preciouuuus ! NOTES TO BE TAKEN IN NOTEBOOK !
i just tried it well i said i had 1/12 in front of me but i want to work with a rotary of 6 positions i checked the website of the shop and found the 2/6
but after what you said no damn need for the 2/6 ! all i need to do is move the washer and here it is: 6 positions and i can change my Decal and put 1 to 6 and the remaining of the circle i can put a 1 color let’s say red without lines like in the attachment file below