How to build a H-Bridge

Hi,

I have been trying to make a H-bride circuit for a high torque motor. I need the motor to turn 5secs CC and 5secs CCW. Every time i tried it doesnt have the output. I am using TIP120 and TIP127 for this circuit. I have attached the circuit and the program codes. Can i use 5v relays instead of the transistor?

hbridge_mosfet.jpg

H bridge.ino (356 Bytes)

OPs Circuit

hbridge_mosfet.jpg

#define forward 6
#define backward 5

void setup() {
 // put your setup code here, to run once:

pinMode(forward, OUTPUT);
 pinMode(backward,OUTPUT);

}

void loop() {
 // put your main code here, to run repeatedly:

analogWrite(forward,255);
 delay(3000);
 analogWrite(forward,0);
 analogWrite(backward,255);
 delay(3000);
 analogWrite(backward,0);

}

You have your transistors connected to pin 10 &11 in your circuit but your code using pin 5 &6.
How can this be working?

PS: what voltage are you used? remember to put the base resistors for the transistor.

It also won't work if motor supply is higher than Arduino's VCC (5volt).
And it could damage the Arduino pins if you don't use a (1k) base current limiting resistors.
Leo..

But if motor supply is 5V, both transistor will drop 2V at VCE with that only will 1V for the motor.

So all that said, this circuit will not work.

i have change the code which pin is base in TIP120 transistor. Is the circuit right?

Dheerajpoojary:
i have change the code

Then Please show us :wink:

Dheerajpoojary:
which pin is base in TIP120 transistor. Is the circuit right?

Google is you friend

And if you write code as you write text you're going to have a hard time. Aka, please use capitals and punctuation :wink:

To answer the question:-

How to build a H-Bridge

1. Get yourself a degree in Electronic Engineering.
  2. Study designs of H-bridges
  3. Sack it off because it is just not worth the great amount of effort it will take and just buy one.

There is some stuff out there , but you do need to know a bit about electronics to Mahdi a workable device .

Quick Google turned this up
:Build a Power MOSFET H-Bridge for Arduino, PIC - YouTube

Grumpy_Mike:
To answer the question:-1) Get yourself a degree in Electronic Engineering.
2) Study designs of H-bridges
3) Sack it off because it is just not worth the great amount of effort it will take and just buy one.

These are good recommendations. Also, the saying..... learn to crawl before learning to walk etc. And.... also.... test each section. Eg.... if no output... then start with making sure the arduino pins are outputting something....measurable. And begin with driving a single mosfet before delving into multiple ones.

Dheerajpoojary:
Hi,

I have been trying to make a H-bride circuit for a high torque motor. I need the motor to turn 5secs CC and 5secs CCW. Every time i tried it doesnt have the output. I am using TIP120 and TIP127 for this circuit. I have attached the circuit and the program codes. Can i use 5v relays instead of the transistor?

Why would you use darlingtons for a high current H-bridge? It makes little sense when MOSFETs are
way superior (much faster, much lower conduction losses, much lower switching losses).

High power H-bridge design is tough, if you want something robust, as all the failure modes are rapid
and destructive at high power, usually cascading and taking out several active devices. If you've not
made an H-bridge before expect to learn through mistakes.

Also, can you turn the vague phrase "high torque motor" into something intelligible, with explicit voltage
and stall current rating? Vague isn't useful, numbers are useful. We don't even know for sure this
is a DC motor from what you've posted so far.

Grumpy_Mike:

1. Get yourself a degree in Electronic Engineering.
  2. Study designs of H-bridges
  3. Sack it off because it is just not worth the great amount of effort it will take and just buy one.

Ad 1) People without degree in EE are forbidden to do anything with electronics?
Ad 2) Good advice but a bit vague. Maybe you have a link where OP may start?
Ad 3) Sure, it is pointless to try to learn something. It is better to buy mature final product or hire professional to do the job for you. It is what DIY means and what is Arduino about!

@OP: It is not so easy to make a H-bridge. You need to understand what you are doing before you make one. You need to master a lot of skills first. You should know how transistors work, what is difference between BJT and FET, know why motors need protection (flyback) diodes etc. You should start with small motor to use small currents and low voltage to keep the risk of damaging used parts (or yourself!) low - and if you damage something it will be cheaper ;-).

Smajdalf
Once again you totally miss the point, I wonder why you keep posting such rubbish.

Grumpy_Mike:
Once again you totally miss the point

I agree H-bridge is not for complete beginner. But it is NOT rocket science and while trying to understand and build one OP will learn a lot. You are right I totally miss the point in demotivating OP by arrogant "advices" like "1) Get yourself a degree in Electronic Engineering." What help did he get from your sooo clever post?

@smajdalf Your post was very reasonable and attempted to help OP. I too missed the helpfulness of telling OP to go get a degree in Electronic Engineering.

Ok, I was trying to tell the OP that this is not an easy job. Maybe you are all not speaking English as a first language and do not get it.

I "get" it just fine. In my opinion, your posts might have more of an impact if you were to tell posters that something is not an easy job in just that sort of clear, simple language if you really believe you are dealing with individuals for whom English is not a first language. Merely a suggestion and not meant to give offense.

OK ladies. I'm getting rather off-pissed with the insults. But mostly with the reports to moderator.

Give it a rest.