How to calibrate a function generator?

making a project a function generator. not generally a function generator itself.
these are my parameters: Bandwith= 10Mhz
with variable frequency and amplitude and a frequency selector.
Amplitude peak to peak = 12Vpp
Produces: sine, square, triangular wave
and an LCD screen is include to show the exact frequency.
A pic16876p will be used as ADC
and a MAX038 will be the main IC of the project (a function generator itself)

My problem with my project is that how will i calibrate the frequency? through what device or component, the pic16876p? so the input frequency is equal to the output frequency.

Thanks. Much appreciated if you guys help me.

First you need a voltage divider to decrease the 12V ==> 5V so the signal can be sampled by a micro processor.

To accurately sample a 10MHz signal accurately you need at least 20Mhz (nyquist) system in theory, in practice you should go for a 80 Mhz system when you want to do measurement in SW.

These things are all over the Internet… Did you search? Rhetorical, do not answer!

http://www.cappels.org/dproj/functsweep/functionswp.html

Calibration can be done with a marker generator. Or, call one of the tech schools and ask the prof to use one of their calibrated generators, with help, of course.
Etc…

Ray

mrburnette, so testy. True, but sometimes the biggest obstacle is the lack of the knowledge necessary to sift through millions of results for the nugget in the haystack that is what you are looking for. Where is that page on mixed metaphors?

jmrtijam, I'm unclear what you are trying to do. Do you have a function generator and you are trying to calibrate a frequency display? Or are you trying to build a PIC controlled function generator using a MAX038 as the sine/triangle/square wave generator? Did you mean PIC16F876a? There doesn't seem to be any such thing as a PIC16876p on Microchip's website.

If this is using a Microchip PIC16F876, you should probably go to a forum that supports Microchip PIC microcontrollers, rather than an Arduino forum.

BTW, if you are reading frequency, that has nothing to do with the ADC or sample frequencies.

mrburnette, so testy. True, but sometimes the biggest obstacle is the lack of the knowledge necessary to sift through millions of results for the nugget in the haystack that is what you are looking for

I would be much less testy if Ops would take time to do a little research on their topics and at least articulate their end-game. It has nothing to do with English as a second language, but rather using the forum the way they do a social media site... Spewing gibberish without forming a complete series of thoughts; leaving those who would answer with having to play a guessing game!

I'm in my 4th hour today of Arduino Forum support and these sloppy posts simply waste time... Everybody's time. I could answer 2x the questions if Ops would think & proofread before clicking Post.

Ray

BTW, mrburnette, both of those links are excellent. I think the 2nd link with an Arduino or other microcontroller board as a frequency counter would be just what the OP is looking for. I base that partly on having skimmed some of his other threads on the same subject.

I may do that as a workshop for OlyMEGA. Everyone can use a decent function generator.

thanks robtillaart. your suggestion is very helpful. l'll look for deeper information about microprocessor.
(this is just my first time designing a device. thats why im looking for better ideas in this forum)

Anyways thank you again.

Hi sir polymorph. sorry if my post was unclear. im trying to build a PIC controlled function generator using a MAX038 as the sine/triangle/square wave generator. Not basically a pic controlled any microprocessor as long it fits the 10Mhz bandwith.

i still dont have plans if what micro processor will i choose to my design. any recommendations sir? :slight_smile:

hi sir robtillaart. i just found a frequency meter http://www.ikalogic.com/build-your-40-mhz-frequency-meter/
what do you think sir? can i apply this in my project?

thank you sir.

Do you understand that a PIC is a Microchip brand microcontroller? Nothing to do with an Arduino, which uses the Atmega brand AVR microcontrollers (generally). I think that is what is causing confusion, you keep referring to PIC.

As you probably got the asignment (school?) to make this project with a PIC-chip, go to a site where they deal with Microchip PIC chips. The arduino forum is not the right place to ask.

// Per.