How to check if 3rd party ethernet shield is working

Hey! I'm using an Arduino Mega 2560 with an original Arduino Ethernet Shield R3 which is working fine. I now also got an cheap asian "copy" ethernet shield for which I unfortunately don't have an exact name or brand. It uses an WIZnet iEthernet W5100 chip like the original one but has an slightly different number at the end which is: PGS71-010 1422. The shield also says "MEGA compatible" but I can't get it to work with my Arduino.

When using the WebServer example sketch from the IDE, I get the IP of the server on my serial monitor but I can't ping the shield, nor telnet or reach it with a browser. I've used the same settings as I did with the original shield (IP = 192.168.0.177 and a unique mac address and my mac has a static ip=192.168.0.2). The shields are always directly connected to my mac's lan-port. I now discovered that when I connect the original shield my mac immediately shows a correct IP for itself in the network utility and indicates an active connection but when i connect the other shield my mac doesn't show any ip nor indicates an valid connection.

I've no SD-card inserted and I've also tried to set the pin 4 to OUTPUT and write HIGH but it didn't work.

Is there anything else I can try to get this shield to work or am I missing anything?

Thanks for your help, Philipp

Post a link to the “cheap asian copy” hardware. If that is not available, does the shield have a ICSP socket on the bottom that connects to the Mega?

This is the link: Ethernet Shield

Yes, it has ICSP

If the shield reports the correct IP if you assign one static, then the SPI side of the w5100 is working ok. It appears the ethernet port side is not working if the ping doesn't work.

The only thing I can recommend is check the w5100 IC for solder bridges.

Actually there are 8 solder bridges. The reason I didn't care about that was that someone else reported the same on amazon but his shield worked fine. So I thought that might be on purpose. Does that mean that my shield is useless? Considering the size of the legs I don't think that I can repair those by myself....?

Some solder bridges won't affect the operation of the w5100. Others will. It depends on the pins that have been bridged.

When I look onto the chip so that I can read the labeling correctly i can find bridges on the right side, starting from the bottom it's the 2nd and 3rd as well as the 4th and 5th leg which are connected and counting from the top it's also the 2nd with the 3rd and the 4th with the 5th. This is all an the right hand side legs. On the top side legs it's (starting from the right) the 1st and the 2nd and then the 7th-8th, 9th-10th and the 11th-12th which are connected.

I don't know if that helps?

You can check the pins on page 8 here

Thanks. I must admit that I’m definitely no expert on that topic but what I can see from that data sheet is that I’m in trouble with those solder bridges (at least with a few of them).
I’ve marked the connected legs in the attached pdf maybe you can have a look and tell if I’m right and if I can repair that in any way?

4873_001.pdf (38 KB)

Does your router see your mega as a connected device?

I also received ethernet shields with PGS71-010 on them. All 5 of them does not work. They are blinking with LEDs, but Arduino can't connect to anything. I'm using shield to connect to MQTT server.

I have old shields with PC9K4-010 on them and they working fine.

Bridges are the same on both shields and PDF posted by TabulaRasa

Any ideas?