How to connect a usb keyboard to adruino uno, without the usb shield

Hi I am trying to create a simple "computer" that will eventually run BASIC, but that is not the point right now, I do not have the shield and cannot get one at the moment, I have a USB keyboard that I want to connect to it. The things I have are 2 Arduino Unos, wires, some blank PCBs a shift register, and various other components that probably won't help.

If any of you could think of a way to do this that would be very useful to me, and possibly others.
Thank you!

You can reprogram the Atmega16U2 that does the USB interface on a real Uno to be an "HID interface" so it can receive from a keyboard.

Here is one of many links on doing that https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=404270.0

I am unable to use the ATMEL flip to reprogram the chip, is there any other way, such as just attaching a female USB connector cable to a breadboard?

No. You need to figure out how to use FLIP or get a USBASP.

CrossRoads:
You can reprogram the Atmega16U2 that does the USB interface on a real Uno to be an "HID interface" so it can receive from a keyboard.

Here is one of many links on doing that Turning a Genuino Uno R3 into a USB HID keyboard - Project Guidance - Arduino Forum

(I repaired the link in the quote.)

That seems like it is going the opposite direction to what the OP asked for. Derpy wants to plug a keyboard into the Arduino to type into the Arduino.

Most projects for USB HID are using the Arduino as a keyboard, for input to a PC.

I do not think this idea is possible without a USB host shield or a more advanced Arduino board.

I certainly would not dispute that - my comment was only in relation to programming the 16U2.

Many devices use MAX3241E controlled via SPI from an Arduino to act as a USB host, one would need to do similar to be able to interface with a USB keyboard.

More info here