How to create a Reset function in ESP8266

Hi I want to create a function inside in my ESP8266 to clear or reset the eeprom

//Now Im setting this manually to TRUE to reset my eeprom
#define RESET_EEPROM false

if ( RESET_EEPROM ) {
    for (int i = 0; i < 512; i++) {
      EEPROM.write(i, 0);
    }
    EEPROM.commit();
    delay(500);
  }

Now I want to make this Upon click the external button of ESP8266 reset button it will automatically reset the EEPROM without doing it manualy.

How will able to a create a trigger function if RST button click = true then the code above will process at the same time it will restart the esp8266

thank you in advance

Hi
put it like this somewhere in the setup() function:

EEPROM.write(i, 0);
     }
     EEPROM.commit();
1 Like

Hi, if I put it in setup function once I triggered my RST button in ESP8266 the setup function will be red?

Hi
What does it mean "function will be red"?

I mean after clicking the button this code will read? Basically it will reset the eeprom? seems like if I put it in the setup function once you disconnect the power from the ESP8266 it will read again and clear the eeprom right? I jsut want something if you click thats the time the function will be called

EEPROM.write(i, 0);
    }
    EEPROM.commit();
    delay(500);

Are you suggesting that restarting the module will always clear EEPROM?

The ESP8266 family doesn't have genuine EEPROM memory so it is normally emulated by using a section of flash memory. With the standard library, the sector needs to be re-flashed every time the changed EEPROM data needs to be saved. For small amounts of EEPROM data this is very slow and will wear out the flash memory more quickly.

1 Like

Technically yeah that's what I wanted to do. I'm only storing WiFi Credential to EEPROM. So if I click the RST btn it will clear the EEPROM. but seems like I really need to re-flashed based on what you said.

The preferred way is to sacrifice an I/O pin, configure as internal Pull-Up in setup and the last thing in setup is to read the pin to determine if it is pulled low by a jumper; if so, jump to the clear routine. This completely avoids unintended erasures.

Here is the reference:

https://www.arduino.cc/reference/en/libraries/esp_eeprom/