How to drive 7-segment 6-digit lcd? HT1621?

I want to drive a lcd that can show a time hh:mm:ss - so I need those ':'.

I found a lcd module which uses HT1621 (but doesn't have the required ':'). It's driven by HT1621 and as far as I understand it should be capable driving a lot of different lcds (datasheet).

I find some modules that mention HT1621 but come without it.

Are there any lcd modules that can be easily used on arduino? For my project I need 2 of these...

Your link to LCD module has 6x7 segment + 6x1 dot = 48 segments altogether. The HT1621 can only do 32 segments. It probably has a HT1623.

It looks easy to drive, but I have never used one. LCDs use little current. You can sleep the LED backlight.

The other modules look like bare panels. You need an external driver chip.

There are lots of 6 digit and 8 digit LED panels. Obviously with high current drain.

If you really want a colon, paint one with a black marker pen.

David.

david_prentice: Your link to LCD module has 6x7 segment + 6x1 dot = 48 segments altogether. The HT1621 can only do 32 segments. It probably has a HT1623.

As far as I understand it HT1621 can drive 32x4:

The HT1621 is a 128 pattern (32x4), memorymapping, and multi-function LCD driver.

It looks easy to drive, but I have never used one. LCDs use little current. You can sleep the LED backlight.

How do I connect any segment lcd to HT1621?

It is not practical for normal human beings to connect a raw LCD panel to a SMD controller chip like a HT1621. You would have to buy the chip too.

If you have a 10000s of product to sell, you design your own custom LCD panel and get the Chinese company to mount a controller chip.

For all normal punters you just buy a ready made display that is "good enough" e.g. made for 4digit clock or 6 digit DMM.

David.

david_prentice: It is not practical for normal human beings to connect a raw LCD panel to a SMD controller chip like a HT1621. You would have to buy the chip too.

It's not that I want to do it on my own, i just don't find any display 6-digits, 7-segments, that already has a microcontroller (SPI or I2C).

Yes, your first link has an onboard HT162x controller. i.e. 6 header pins.

david_prentice: Yes, your first link has an onboard HT162x controller. i.e. 6 header pins.

But I can't display a time with it...

It says clock, but I don't know what kind that should be. The format is abc.d.e.f, I need hh:mm:ss