How to find if given digital pin is ICP Pin?

I am trying to write a function which can check the type of digital pin (INTx, PCINTxx or ICP). How to check if the pin type is of ICP (input capture pin) ?

My function looks something like following. I have figured how to check if pin is of INTx or PCINTxx type, but don't know how to check if pin is ICP type.

AltSoftSerial(uint8_t rx_pin, uint8_t tx_pin) {

if( ? ? ? ? ) {	// if ICP pin
		// do something
	}
	else if(digitalPinToInterrupt() != NOT_A_INTERRUPT) { // check if INTx pin
		// do something
	}
	else if (digitalPinToPCMSK(rx_pin) != 0) {	// check if PCINTxx pin
		// do something
	}

}

I am modifying the AltSoftSerial library. In the library only ICP pin can be used as Rx pin. I am changing the library so INTx or PCINTx pins can also be used as rx pin.

The processor data sheet tells you which pins are used for input capture.

I think that the OP is trying to do this programmatically and is hoping to not have to create a new macro.

The "DigitalPinToXXX" macros/functions that currently exist are provided explicitly by the Arduino core code referencing a table, rather than than any inherent hardware ability. There's no equivalent for the ICP pins, so you'll have to create one. Um: ATmega328 only has 1 ICP pin, and ATmega2560 only has 2 that are connected (out of four total.)
So presumably you want something like:

static uint8_t* digitalPinToInCompareRegister(uint8_t p) {
#if defined(__AVR_ATmega328__)
  if (p == 8) return &ICR1;  // timer1 has ICP
#elif defined(__AVR_ATmega2560__))
  if (p == 49) return &ICR4; // timer4 has ICP
  if (p == 48) return &ICR5; // timer5 has ICP
  /* ICR3==PE7, ICR1==PD4, but these are not connected to pins on Arduino MEGA */
#endif
  return 0;
}

There's an existing digitalPinToTimer() macro, but it doesn't give you any indication of whether it's a 16bit timer with ICP, or an 8bit timer without ICP...

If you're trying to use ALL the ways that a transition on a pin might generate an interrupt, you can also think about using the timer external clock pins (T0 and T1 on m328; I can't find T2) with the value pre-set to "one less than overflow" or "one less than output compare match." It requires completely repurposing the timers, though.

westfw:
... the timer external clock pins (T0 and T1 on m328; I can't find T2)

T2==TOSC1; the pin is used for oscillator on Arduino Uno and cannot be used for clocking Timer2.

westfw:
ATmega2560 only has 2 that are connected (out of four total.)

Thanks for this key info. Is there any reasonable way to access the other two ICP inputs?

Is there any reasonable way to access the other two ICP inputs?

No, not really. Maybe use a board like the Seeeduino Mega that attaches more of the pins to connectors?