How to get a quadcopter's parameters without using MP?

Hello,

We are using APM 2.6

Quadcopter has a video camera attached to it and a raspberry pi. We already created a server on raspberry pi with a website that we can watch first view of our quadcopter from a laptop but we also want to see some parameters on that website, just like its on mission planner, for example, altitude, speed, roll, pitch and so on. Is there any way to get it? So far Ive been using Python, so it would be nice to continue with that. I mostly tried searching for some libraries that would allow me to use something similar to "get.Param(altitude)" and voila!

I looked up using mavlink, then pySerial, but Im really lost.

My first goal is to get all the above mentioned params to print out in my terminal (since its changing constantly). How would I do that? Even if I use pySerial and readline() it gives me total gibberish.

Even if somehow I got pass this step, I thought about using a json but since all those params need to be updated within milliseconds, I dont think its possible to read a json real time. But maybe Im just wrong.

Id appreciate any guidance!

How is an Arduino involved? Or do you want to involve an arduino?

That's called OSD (On Screen Display) . I have one for my quadcopter. It has gps for location and velocity. You can get them at any Hobby vendor . It has an NTSC vid in and vid out. It OVERLAYS all the info on your primary vid signal from the GO PRO camera. (it goes in series between the camera and video transmitter) The signal received on the ground is the combination of the two. It sets POO (Point of Origin) as "Home" and shows compass heading , speed , altitude, and Home so you can tell from the screen if it is going toward home or away from home.

We are using ardupilot to be more precise. If I connect ardupilot to a Mission Planner via USB and I move around the ardupilot in my hands, I can easily see the all the params changing. My first goal would to see all of this without mission planner or ground station. I thought there was a library for python that would let me to get all these params easily.

I was talking about video because you said you wanted to "see" the parameters". The OSD overlay is strictly a video feature and in no was allows extracting information for uC usage (you can't parse it because it's not serial, it's embedded video).

Does the ardupilot have libraries that allow you to access the information over serial? Otherwise you'll probably need to write something to allow you to get the information over serial. Then you can use python to parse the information on your Pi.

All the information you need is internal to what ? (the Ardu-pilot? , the Mission Planner ?). What kind of outputs does the device generating this data have ? (is it strictly motor ESC servo signals ?) or video but nothing you can interface to the outside world ?

Can anyone please explain me why am I getting this gibberish? Its Arduino IDE. Yes, I set the right serial port and the right board.

Lower your speed until the garbage goes away. Either the sender or receiver is having a problem at that speed. Try 9600 first to test it and then increase it until the garbage appears , then decrease it by one speed setting.

Thank you for quick reply!

If I set it to lower then its pure garbage aka not a single English word.

What is sending this ?