How to connect arduino to mission planner (getting GPS and altitude data) ?

Hi All !
I want to make antenna tracker to track UAV using Arduino. Calculating pan and tilt degree on antenna tracking needs GPS location of UAV. My UAV is set autopilot using APM-Mission Planner. I have a plan to take GPS location data of my UAV from mission planner and then give it to my arduino. How to do that? Have anybody here tried this project (or simmiliar project) ? I have searched but haven't found. Thanks for sharing All.. :slight_smile:

Best regards,
Ardian Umam

Is APM-Mission Planner a PC program ?

Can it send data to an Arduino over a serial (USB) connection ?

...R

Yes Robin. Mission planner-APM in PC. Let's say, APM to PC using RF on COMP10. So, data sreaming from APM to mission planner (in PC) uses COMP10. So, how to get the same streaming data parallel to arduino? If I have used COMP10 in mission planner, I couldn't use COMP10 in arduino in the same time. Or, is there another way ? Many thanks.

I can't think of any easy solution. Do you mean COM10 rather than COMP10 ?

Can you hack the MissionPlanner software to get it to pass the data onwards ?

Can you write another program that can receive the stream of data and then pass it both to MissionPlanner and to the Arduino ?

You also need to be conscious that the PC acts as a USB Host and the Arduino only acts as a slave.

...R

Sorry being late to respon. Yeah, I meant COM10 (without P). Still finding the way to take those values Robin. Because, if we can take those values from Mission Planner, we don't need an additional RF Antenna.,

I think the best place to ask this question is the http://diydrones.com/ website.

Many over there have done it allready.

I assume that your UAV communicates with the ground station using MAVlink protocol. I would run the MAVproxy so as to split the incomming packets both to the Mission planner and to the other serial port that the arduino is connected. You will have to take a look at the MAVproxy documentation so that you can filter which data you want to be directed to where....

Can not help any further as I have not touched the thing for the last 5 or so years so can't remember a thing....