How to rapidly switch a high current solenoid on and off using UNO

Hello to everyone on the forum.

I am a fairly new Arduino user and I have a project that requires some guidance. I am working on a fluid control system that utilizes a solenoid which will pulse very rapidly to control flow rate of a gas. The solenoid is 12V and draws a maximum of 15 amps during operation. What circuitry would allow me to control this solenoid through PWM from the UNO?

Mosfet as a Switch tutorial

Adding a zener diode in serie with the free wheeling diode will drain the coil from magnetic flux much faster. Why PWM to the valve instead of On or Off?

Hi,
Welcome to the forum.

Please read the first post in any forum entitled how to use this forum.
http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php/topic,148850.0.html.

Can you post a link to data/spec of the solenoid.

Does the manufacturer provide a PWM controller for their valves?
Rapid operation of inductive loads can be fraught with problems, such as back emf and current, some requiring current limiting circuitry or High side switching.

Thanks.. Tom.. :slight_smile:

Railroader:
Adding a zener diode in serie with the free wheeling diode will drain the coil from magnetic flux much faster. Why PWM to the valve instead of On or Off?

What I want to do with the solenoid is control the duration of open or closed(duty cycle if I am not mistaken?) based on a specified cycle time up to 50HZ. Is this achievable with an On or Off signal? Apologies for any ignorance I may have concerning this topic.

TomGeorge:
Can you post a link to data/spec of the solenoid.

Does the manufacturer provide a PWM controller for their valves?
Rapid operation of inductive loads can be fraught with problems, such as back emf and current, some requiring current limiting circuitry or High side switching.

Thanks.. Tom.. :slight_smile:

Hi Tom

Unfortunately, I do not have access to a data sheet for the solenoid. It was custom manufactured for me but is comparable to this solenoid Nitrous Supply which they also offer. From what I have been able to find these types of high power solenoid valves have standalone PWM controllers to help with off the line performance in nitrous equipped cars, however, they do not offer an example of the circuitry used, hence why I have come here to ask.