How to send AT commands directly to ESP-12E ?

It seams to be a stupid question but I could not send AT commands directly to ESP-12E module. Just Serial.print does not work and data is sent to USB. Serial1.print does not work either and data is sent to the second serial port but not to ESP8266 IC. Serial.swap also does not send data to desired place... Many libraries do that easily but I do not know how and where those libraries send data... Any idea ? Thanks

It seams to be a stupid question but I could not send AT commands directly to ESP-12E module.

From where?

From a sketch wrote under arduino IDE 1.8.13...

Using an ESP as a WiFi “shield” rarely works well. I have yet to see anyone saying they are happy with the arrangement.

If you want WiFi, why don’t you just use a board that already has WiFi?

(AT means Ancient Technology).

SteveMann:
Using an ESP as a WiFi "shield" rarely works well. I have yet to see anyone saying they are happy with the arrangement.

If you want WiFi, why don't you just use a board that already has WiFi?

(AT means Ancient Technology).

This is exactly what I am trying to do.... The Esp-12E board has everything I need: A powerfull microcontroler, WiFi manager, I/O pins, etc. (pinout attached)....

The (poorly posed) question reveals a basic misunderstanding. If you're programming the ESP8266 device itself in C++, with the Arduino IDE then the notion of "AT Commands" is nonsense.

Once you set the board type in the IDE to a ESP8266 variant, you'll see lots of examples how to connect to WiFi, run a Web Server, etc.

Thanks gfvalvo but I know what you said. My question is so simple… How to send commands directly to ESP8266 builtin ESP-12E board ? It seams to be simple but I colud not find a way to do that…

AntonioTesta:
How to send commands directly to ESP8266 builtin ESP-12E board ?

You still don't understand. If you're programming the ESP8266 directly in C++, you don't "send it commands". For the most part, you programming it like any other board/processor in the Arduino ecosystem. Additionally, the ESP8266 core supports an API to perform tasks unique to ESP8622 (i.e. WiFi stuff). To use these features you make calls to the functions provided to the API.

It's best that you look at some of the examples that will present themselves in the Arduino IDE once you set the board type to an ESP8266 variant.

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.