How to show images attached to the post inline with the text of the post?

When I attach an image to a post, it shows as a reference at the bottom of the post that the user can click on to expand. For single images this usually isn't a problem; however, if the post contains several it can be confusing.

What I would like to do is use the img tag to display the images in proximity to the text that is describing them. Haven't been able to figure out how.

text [ img ]http://file location.jpg[ /img ] without the spaces more text

Note that many users cannot access all websites where images may be hosted. Attaching them to a post is much better.

Attach your image in your post. View in forum, copy image path. Modify post, insert image tags described above.

But this will effectively display each image twice.

Or if you do not want duplicates and do not have a website, send me a PM, and I can dump them on my site where you can link from. It was quite expensive so there should be no down time, except that 0.01% they never want to fully guarantee.

So in summary, the difference is that inline images are weblinks to a URL that you must guarantee on which you have arranged to provide hosting.

Images attached under "Additional Options..." are loaded to the Arduino server which continues to host them - presumably for the life of the forum.

Now if you are really sneaky, I fancy you can attach the image, thus loading it to the Arduino server, then use the attached link to provide an inline image, and in *modify*ing your post, remove the attachment at the bottom. Or not.

Paul__B: So in summary, the difference is that inline images are weblinks to a URL that you must guarantee on which you have arranged to provide hosting.

Images attached under "Additional Options..." are loaded to the Arduino server which continues to host them - presumably for the life of the forum.

Now if you are really sneaky, I fancy you can attach the image, thus loading it to the Arduino server, then use the attached link to provide an inline image, and in *modify*ing your post, remove the attachment at the bottom. Or not.

Thanks! That is what I was looking for. I know I have seen folks post images that were hosted on the Arduino forum, but didn't show up in attachments!

Paul__B:
Now if you are really sneaky, I fancy you can attach the image, thus loading it to the Arduino server, then use the attached link to provide an inline image, and in modifying your post, remove the attachment at the bottom. Or not.

So let’s test that:
Attached a smaller picture that i’ve attached in some other post before.
Now i’m going to try to use that picture by pasting it’s link into these img tags:

[img]http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=242171.0;attach=82816;image[/img]

Let’s have a peek then.
Seems to work for me.
And still seems to work after deleting the attached picture.
Might be due to some browser cache though.

Yet another test.
Tested with another browser, so no cache there, and the picture became a small red cross instead of what was uploaded.
So removing the attachment also removes the picture.

The other browser i used is an old IE.
I re-attached that image, and changed the links.
Still doesn’t work (as i expected, to be honest) with that other browser.
Now it seems to be OK.
So with both browsers i can see both pictures.

Driver_power.jpg

MAS3:

Paul__B: Now if you are really sneaky, I fancy you can attach the image, thus loading it to the Arduino server, then use the attached link to provide an inline image, and in *modify*ing your post, remove the attachment at the bottom. Or not.

So let's test that: Attached a smaller picture that i've attached in some other post before. Now i'm going to try to use that picture by pasting it's link into these img tags:

[img]http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=242171.0;attach=82816;image[/img]

Yet another test. Tested with another browser, so no cache there, and the picture became a small red cross instead of what was uploaded. So removing the attachment also removes the picture.

Yup, was waiting to see how long till someone says the image does not work. If it did work, SMF forums everywhere would be the subject of abuse by storing all sorts of files secretly.

Hmmm, no replies for a while.

Maybe a different approach will help. Go back into your history, find a post in a thread that isn't visited too often. Then attach a few images to it and link them from your new thread.