How to use FTDI to upload sketches

Dear all,

I need help to understand how to use the FTDI.

I have an arduino uno which I use to upload my sketches (File > Upload Using Programmer from the arduino IDE) connected as depicted here:

What I did was upload the blink sketch and it worked.

Than I wanted to try to use my FTDI to upload sketches as well getting rid of the arduino uno and be more quick.

So I connected my adapter as shown here

on Gammon's page (plus having the crystal connected).

From arduino IDE I select the new serial port and choose the upload.

Using Port                    : \\.\COM23
         Using Programmer              : arduino
         Overriding Baud Rate          : 57600
avrdude: Send: 0 [30]   [20] 
avrdude: Recv: 
avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00

avrdude done.  Thank you.

I don't understand what am I doing wrong..
Going back to the connection to my Uno and uploading a new sketch that outputs serial data, connecting the FTDI and using the serial monitor of the IDE I can see the output, but if I try to upload a sketch it stops at " Overriding Baud Rate : 57600" and the led RX on the adapter turns on still like everything frees. Removing the crystal the same message of above appears.

Does anyone have any suggestions to help me understand?

Thank you,
dk

Double check the wiring...

Wires seems ok.
In addition I can see serial output using the FTDI...

So if you connect it up there is a sketch loaded which outputs serial?

Perhaps there is an issue with your reset line.

did you burn bootloader first?

ChilliTronix:
So if you connect it up there is a sketch loaded which outputs serial?

Perhaps there is an issue with your reset line.

Yes, currently I loaded the "ASCII Table" example and as soon as I open the serial monitor of the IDE.
The reset line is connected via 0.1 uF capacitor.
I also took away the crystal and the capacitor to have the exact same config as the image from Gammon, but nothing changes..

rigelinorion:
did you burn bootloader first?

Yes, Arduino Pro 3.3V 8Mhz, w/ Atmega328. The FTDI adapter runs as 3.3V as well.. I can upload sketches using my Uno succesfully!

I think you should connect an external cristal 8MHz.

For internal oscilator fusebits should be LFuse = 0xE2 HFuse = 0xDA EFuse = 0xFD.

Or use 16Mhz external oscilator.
Ups. I forgot that 16mhz will not work with 3.3V

rigelinorion:
Or use 16Mhz external oscilator

I have an external crystal 8 Mhz connected to it.

Is there some special option or setting I should set in the IDE?

Note:
I also burned arduino uno bootloader powered it with 5v and using a 16Mhz crystal.. nothing changes...

Ah... If you used Nick Gammon's bootloader sketch with a Lilypad bootloader that will be an internal crystal setup and sometimes the serial speed can be a bit flaky.

I used the arduino IDE bootloader.. :frowning:

Any other suggestion or tests I should do?

If you were seeing serial output from your sketch then I think the problem lies with your RESET circuit. If there's a DTR pin on your FTDI, try using that instead of RTS.

..I already use DTR

My connections are:

DTR - Reset (pin 1) via 0.1uF capacitor
RX  - TX (pin 3)
TX  - RX (pin 2)
VCC - VCC
CTS - none
GND - GND

Remove dtr capacitor. Connect dtr to reset pin without cap.

At the start of the programming make short to ground pin reset. If work means that maybe something wrong with the adapter.

And in general what is now setup. External or internal oscillator? What frequency? What baudrate? What fusbits? (Sorry for my google translator english ;))

I had to use a 1.0 uF monolithic cap on my reset with the RTS* on my FT-232-R. The interface was purchased from DigiKey. It is an 8 pin device and brings out the TxD and RxD LED pins as CBUS0 and CBUS1. With the 1.0 uF cap, I am now able to load my custom-designed Arduino clone every time.

Dear all,
I was able to fix the issue and finally upload the sketches with my FTDI.
I had to re-burn the bootloader with Gammon's Atmega_Board_Programmer and choosing the ATmegaBOOT_168_atmega328_pro_8MHz_hex.

Now it works, thank you all for your support.
dk