How to write API code in arduino

I try to develop VL53L1x to arduino code, but VL53L1x support only API functions. How to call API(Application Programming Interface) function in arduino???

please any one share example code for API arduino related code

The sensor is connected over I2C, so the API library implements register calls over I2C. You need to modify that library for Arduino (if the license allows it).

Huh? VL53L1x datasheet says it’s just I2C, see section 4.2 - use the Wire library. There’s probably an arduino library for it already. I’m pretty sure i’ve seen cheap breakout boards for these around, which implies others are using them with arduino. But even without a library, you could still use it directly with Wire.

API is “application programming interface” - it refers to any set of functions exposed by a library, such that you can incorporate those calls in your code (while leaving the implementation of those functions to the supplier of the API); it typically implies that the API is supplied by someone else (usually the manufacturer), and/or that multiple things use a compatible interface. It can mean anything from a REST interface for interacting with a web application to the functions of a library like we use in Arduino.

Thanks for replay,

I didn't work with API functions in arduino it's totally different to write code in API function so please any one share example code for API function call in arduino using I2C.

Juraj:
The sensor is connected over I2C, so the API library implements register calls over I2C. You need to modify that library for Arduino (if the license allows it).

The license doesn't allow for redistribution of modified code. The nearest thing you can do is what's done here : VL53L1X on ESP-IDF - merge the API sources with code for your platform.
However, you also have to modify the API sources as they have some problems with 16 bit processors.

The API in this case is a library that provides a high-level interface to the chip functions, but relies on low-level I2C access to the device. Once you've provided that (which is somewhat similar to what Adafruit did with the VL53L0X library) then as DrAzzy says, you can call the VL53L1X API just like any other library.

I don't know of anyone except ST selling breakout boards yet. You've probably seen the earlier VL53L0X which is cheap, widely available, but not quite as good. It's pin-compatible so I hope those vendors will soon build them with 53L1X instead.

The code uses most of the code and buffer space on an older arduino. If you want to use it and have more than trivial code in your part, its probably a good excuse to try a Zero.

Also posted at:

If you're going to do that then please be considerate enough to add links to the other places you cross posted. This will let us avoid wasting time due to duplicate effort and also help others who have the same questions and find your post to discover all the relevant information. When you post links please always use the chain links icon on the toolbar to make them clickable.