I can upload to my arduino but I can not use Serial Monitor.

I am currently using COM3 and can compile and upload the program to the arduino on com3. Everything works perfectly. But for some reason even though I can upload programs the port menu item is grayed out and when I click Serial Monitor it says

Board at COM3 is not available.

The reason I need Serial Monitor is so I can see my Serial print statements, currently I have this set up like this
Serial.begin(9600);
Serial.print(“Testing”);

I have looked all over, reinstalled various drivers, used all the usb ports on my laptop. I am using win7 64. Any reason why this would happen? If the upload works fine why would serial monitor keep saying Board at COM3 is not available?

Any help would be very much appreciated, I have been searching online and trying stuff for about 4 hours.

Thanks,
Daryl

What version of the IDE are you using? 1.6.8 has serious serial handling issues.

Wow thanks for the fast reply! I am using Arduino 1.7.10

djd415:
Wow thanks for the fast reply! I am using Arduino 1.7.10

That's the IDE from Arduino.org instead of from Arduino.cc isn't it?

Throw it away and download Arduino from the Arduino.cc site.
Consider Arduino IDE V1.6.5 while you're at it.

Edit: V1.6.8 has a few problems, V1.6.5 is the most stable recent version.

Arduino Software

I just realized that. I just finished uninstalling it and am installing 1.6.7 based on the comment about 1.6.8. I will post back after the install is complete to see if this fixes it. I also tried 3 different usb cords to make sure my cord was good.

Thanks Guys!!!!! Everything is working once I got rid of that version from ".org". Thanks again. Very new to Arduino, just got my board yesterday. I am so hooked!!! I love this thing! Thanks everyone again for your help.

djd415:
Thanks Guys!!!!! Everything is working once I got rid of that version from ".org". Thanks again. Very new to Arduino, just got my board yesterday. I am so hooked!!! I love this thing! Thanks everyone again for your help.

Excellent. I'm glad it's working well now.