int main()
{
int x;
char i;
char f;
char y;
char yi;
char fi;
cout << “Conversions Calculator (Version Alpha 1.01). \n Enter the letter(s) that correspond(s) to the conversion you need.” << endl;
cout << “Customary Length: \n i = inches to feet, f = feet to yards, y = inches to yards, yi = yards to inches, fi = feet to inches” << endl;
cout << “Time: \n s = seconds to minutes, sh = seconds to hours, sd = seconds to days, ms = minutes to seconds, m = minutes to hours, \n md = minutes to days, hs = hours to seconds, hm = hours to minutes, hd = hours to days, ds = days to seconds, \n dm = days to minutes, dh = days to hours” << endl;
cin >> x;
if (x == i)
{
int original_inches;
cout << "Enter your amount of inches … " << endl;
cin >> original_inches;

cout << original_inches << " inches in feet is … " << original_inches * 12;
}

}

that was my code so far.
my command prompt never asks for my integer inches_original and goes straight to a random number and answer after I type in the I value and hit enter.
my command prompt then does this:

Conversions Calculator (Version Alpha 1.01).
Enter the letter(s) that correspond(s) to the conversion you need.
Customary Length:
i = inches to feet, f = feet to yards, y = inches to yards, yi = yards to inches, fi = feet to inches
Time:
s = seconds to minutes, sh = seconds to hours, sd = seconds to days, ms = minutes to seconds, m = minutes to hours,
md = minutes to days, hs = hours to seconds, hm = hours to minutes, hd = hours to days, ds = days to seconds,
dm = days to minutes, dh = days to hours
i
Enter your amount of inches …
4354320 inches in feet is … 52251840
Process returned 0 (0x0) execution time : 2.739 s
Press any key to continue.

Please use code tags when posting code.

In the following if statement, what values do the variables x and i have, and what is the purpose of the comparison?

if (x == i)

Looks like you want to compare the value in 'x' against the CHARACTER 'i' and not the contents of the uninitialized character variable 'i':

if (x == 'i')

ill try

Hello Jack, one way to post code, type [code] before the first line of your program and [/code] after the last line, like this:

[code]
Your
  code
    here.
[/code]

Or, at the top of the reply page, click the icon and paste your code between the tags.
code tags.PNG