I2C digital outputs at 24V

Hello.

Is it possible to get 20+ digital outputs on a single I2C bus on a Arduino Mega with a voltage at roughly 24V-28V?

I was thinking of using a MCP23017 but i need to boost the outputs.

Thanks for reading.

I smell xy problem...

neiklot: I smell xy problem...

Hey and thanks for answer. I just started this project and dont have alot of time so i thought i just send the question out and hope for some help :)

I think ill use some sort of DC to DC boost converter but im not sure if it will work, or maybe there is a "complete" ready-to-buy converter thats perfect for me.

Hope you understand my typing, english is not my first language.

Why do you need 24+ volts on the I2C?

My link to the xy problem definition, was to try to get you to (perhaps) state your actual problem, what are you really trying to do with this project? It may be that asking for help in getting 24V on I2C is you asking us about a (possibly ill-formed) solution.

I2C is a short range (30cms) chip to chip bus. Why do you want 24V onit?

Mark

Yes - know you can get more than 30 cms if you ......... but thats not the point)

M

Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

Please read the first post in any forum entitled how to use this forum. http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php/topic,148850.0.html .

Is this associated with this; https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=606080.0

What is your project? What are you trying to make?

Thanks... Tom... :)

Thanks for answers.

I need 24V on the outputs because my "master" told me so, im just a young padawan. If it would work with 5V i would be really happy but thats not the case :(

Im going to use the DO to simulate values from a log read from ECUer through a CAN shield.

lurrelol: "master" padawan

I have no idea what those are, I can't help any further.

Well, what you can do: - connect 2x MCP23017 to your I2C bus, - connect a MOSFET to the output to create a 24V/0V output signal. Or even 24V switched power outputs. Easy to make 32 such signals with two MCP23017s. Easy to control, too.

But if you have a Mega you don't need the port extenders. You can use the Mega's outputs directly. Easier.

lurrelol: I need 24V on the outputs because my "master" told me so, I'm just a young padawan. If it would work with 5V i would be really happy but that's not the case

I'm going to use the DO to simulate values from a log read from ECUer through a CAN shield.

OK, you have almost explained what it is you want to do, but it begins to sound as if even you do not know what it is you are attempting.

Perhaps take it slowly, and have another go at explaining what you want to do, what it is you want to connect, where this "24V" comes from, give Web references for the devices (because if you do not have the datasheets, you are getting nowhere!).

What is going to RECEIVE these 24V I2C signals?

JCA79B:
What is going to RECEIVE these 24V I2C signals?

The OP has been advised to use a MCP23017 port expander, it connects to the Arduino via I2C, it is the output of the expander, not the I2C bus, that has to be a 24V output.
The subject of this thread is not written well.
ECU and CAN Shield needs more explanation.

Im going to use the DO to simulate values from a log read from ECUer through a CAN shield.

In fact a proper description of the project would help, with at least some explanatory block diagrams.
Can you tell us your electronics, programming, arduino, hardware experience?

Thanks… Tom… :slight_smile:

okey all, ill try to explain it.

Ill send stored logs from CANalyzer to my Arduino Mega through a CAN-BUS shield (Tessel CAN-BUS Shield V2, Seeed Studio).

I want to simulate the values from the logs so it will be easy to spot a deviation and fix it.

Ill use around 30 DAC:s (MCP4725), 25 DO (MCP23017) and around 40 other outputs (dont know anything about these yet). Ill use MUX:s (Adafruit TCA9548A) to the DAC:s.

lurrelol: okey all, ill try to explain it.

Ill send stored logs from CANalyzer to my Arduino Mega through a CAN-BUS shield (Tessel CAN-BUS Shield V2, Seeed Studio).

I want to simulate the values from the logs so it will be easy to spot a deviation and fix it.

Ill use around 30 DAC:s (MCP4725), 25 DO (MCP23017) and around 40 other outputs (dont know anything about these yet). Ill use MUX:s (Adafruit TCA9548A) to the DAC:s.

Hi, Can you tell us your electronics, programming, arduino, hardware experience?

All these analog and digital outputs are going to where, lights, meters, digital displays, another computer?

Does the DAC output have to be amplified to 0 to 24Vdc?

Tom... :)

TomGeorge: Hi, Can you tell us your electronics, programming, arduino, hardware experience?

All these analog and digital outputs are going to where, lights, meters, digital displays, another computer?

Does the DAC output have to be amplified to 0 to 24Vdc?

Tom... :)

Im a electrical engineering bachelor student, with a few programming courses done. I would call me a beginner this topic.

The outputs will be measured with a oscilloscope.

The DAC output is only 0-5V .

Thanks.