Ide 2.0 Windows10 come ports

When I run ide2 on my win10 machine it works fine, finding Esp8266 devices on com5, but in the process it is somehow trashing the com6 connection to my davis weather station (which is also usb virtual com port). I have to unplug its usb cable to reset it. Anyone got any suggestion for how to debug??

Problems can arise from outdated or incompatible drivers. The drivers for both the ESP8266 and the Davis weather station should be up to date.

I have been using an antique version of the CH340 driver (installed somewhere in 2017 on a Windows 10 system) without any issues. So please do not tell me that they need to be up-to-date.

And the latest version of the CH340 driver might have a problems with certain clone Nanos and you do need to roll back that driver.

The Davis weather station talks usb, and my Cumulus weather software (up to date) uses the win10 virtual drivers, so nothing to update there.

I assume the ide2 (also up to date) is using the latest drivers to access the virtual com ports. I just wonder if it is doing some sort of total scan of possible ports, and leaving destruction in it wake. It does manage to find Esp8266 on com5, and if I plug in an antique uno, it finds that on com8, so it is clearly having a good rummage around.. What is it doing to com6 one wonders.