IDE: Seeing red

I was going to ask if I'm the only one that hates the red error messages, but after Googling around I'm going to ask if anyone, anyone can even read them?

then you find the theme.txt file and discover that since it's installed in the C:/programs(x86) our friend Windows won't let you save a changed file there. So you sit and fume about either accepting it or reinstalling somewhere else and then tracking down libraries you've totally forgotten you've previously installed and are now essential to most of your sketches.

CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP

Thank you very much.

The red text is entirely readable to me, I have not heard others complaining about it's readability. Could there be a serious screen brightness issue (I've helped someone who was having trouble reading text due to it looking the same color as the background once before, and we eventually determined that his screen's contrast setting was grossly misadjusted!)?

Isn't there also a theme.txt somewhere else, in a user-writable location? I feel like there is, but I don't know where.

Note that you can modify things in program files by just running notepad (or whatever you're opening the file with) as admin.

thanks. Damn, I totally forgot to open notepad as admin. Duh. I will give it a try right now.

the red is difficult on this computer for several reasons, the primary one being that this has a high res screen and even with setting text size in Windows it's a total pain to change back and forth just for this program. The editor text size can be changed in the IDE, but not the error text. So tiny red text on black is just plain painful.

Success! Change

console.error.color = #E34C00 to #FFFFFF

and you get white error/warning messges

BTW, the theme.txt file is in the "lib/theme" subfolder and it's the only .txt file.

I also changed the

little pooties at the end of lines that show where they finisheditor.eolmarkers = true

to "true" so I can see where the added spaces are

No wish to bore anyone, but up to 8% of men are red/green colourblind to some extent. Using red as an error message is not a good choice. Watch the Andromeda Strain if you need proof (although that was something else!)

Accessiblility is an interesting ICT subject.

R

True, roydw, but I can tell you that passing the astronaut eye test (twice) was a challenge. Still, I think red on white would be a lot more readable than red on black.