Improve Yun standard software

This is prompted by this Post (and other similar) about how to enable a Yun to communicate with another Arduino board - this seems just to be adding the driver for basic USB-serial communication.

Also, as far as I am aware the standard Yun setup does not include the drivers/software necessary to use a 3G/4G dongle for external comms.

These seem to me very basic (and unforgiveable) omissions considering the nature of the Yun and its target market.

Can this stuff be included in the next upgrade of the Yun software?

...R

Robin2:
:::SNIP::::
Can this stuff be included in the next upgrade of the Yun software?

...R

@Robin2,

You'll need to build a new System from scratch.

Google: openwrt 3g 4g

Building image with support for 3g/4g and usb tethering
http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howtobuild/wireless-router-with-a-3g-dongle

Jesse

jessemonroy650:
You'll need to build a new System from scratch.

Thanks Jesse,

The purpose of my Thread is to request the Arduino folks to include it in the standard Yun software so that users (especially the less experienced) don't have to do it themselves.

I hope you can support that idea.

...R

Thanks for suggestion.

Please open an issue on github https://github.com/arduino/openwrt-yun so it can be tracked easily for future releases.

Angelo9999:
Thanks for suggestion.

Please open an issue on github https://github.com/arduino/openwrt-yun so it can be tracked easily for future releases.

I'm pig-headed about this. I expect the Arduino folk to read this Forum to pick up ideas. If they want to manage their work on GiHub that is their business.

If you are one of the Arduino folk, I presume you will make the necessary arrangements.

...R

Robin2:
I'm pig-headed about this. I expect the Arduino folk to read this Forum to pick up ideas. If they want to manage their work on GiHub that is their business.

If you are one of the Arduino folk, I presume you will make the necessary arrangements.

...R

@Robin2,
Angelo9999 is a volunteer, just like me. I think he has moderator permission, but that is it.

If he is like me, he is reading multiple forums, some not directly related to Arduino.

As for myself, I read this forum, phonegap (4 forums - github,google groups, stackoverflow, cordova), OpenWrt (documentation forum), and multiple mailing list including (freebsd advocate and USB, SVLUG (Silicon Valley Linux User Group), and Anki-dev (the small radio BLE (bluetooth) controlled car. This does not count new feeds.

In any case very soon, I'm going to start on the documentation of the OpenWrt source tree. This should help all project, not just Arduino. As such, I believe you are correct having 3g and 4g missing from the kernel (especially an IoT or mobile kernel) is needed.

As such, I'll willing to support a push to have 3g & 4g added to the YunOS kernel, if you can make your way past your pig-headed-ness.

TIA
Jesse

jessemonroy650:
@Robin2,
Angelo9999 is a volunteer, just like me. I think he has moderator permission, but that is it.

I am not expecting ordinary Forum members to do stuff on my behalf.

I wondered, because he said “Thanks for suggestion” if @Angelo9999 was part of the Arduino team.

I have been arguing for a long time (in the Website and Forum section) that members of the Arduino team should participate regularly in the Forum.

It is very good of you to consider documenting the OpenWRT source tree, but I really think that is something the Arduino team should already have done.

…R

jessemonroy650:
@Robin2,

I'm part of the Arduino team, one of my tasks is to follow the Yun section of the forum.

Robin2:
I have been arguing for a long time (in the Website and Forum section) that members of the Arduino team should participate regularly in the Forum.

Robin2:
I expect the Arduino folk to read this Forum to pick up ideas. If they want to manage their work on GiHub that is their business.

I regularly partecipate in the Yun section of the Forum, even If you don't see me answering every thread. The most important part of this activity is to give technical support and to check if there is any critical bug that prevent the regular use of the Yun.

If something is strictly related to future development, Github is a more appropriate place. It has more visibility to the entire Arduino team and the entire Github community.

Angelo9999:
I'm part of the Arduino team, one of my tasks is to follow the Yun section of the forum.

I regularly partecipate in the Yun section of the Forum, even If you don't see me answering every thread.

I am really delighted to hear that. Thank you very much

If something is strictly related to future development, Github is a more appropriate place. It has more visibility to the entire Arduino team and the entire Github community.

I quite understand that. Please be kind enough to add my request to your GitHub system.

...R

Robin2:
I am really delighted to hear that. Thank you very much

I quite understand that. Please be kind enough to add my request to your GitHub system.

…R

@Robin2,

Your request was added. If you would like to support the request, you can do so at

Formal request to Add drivers/software necessary to use a 3G/4G dongle for external communications. #38

If you are not a member of github, you can easily join.

Jesse

jessemonroy650:
Your request was added.

To whoever added it, Thank You.

If you would like to support the request, you can do so at

Why would I, or anyone else, need to support it. I presume when it is on the TODO list it will get done. Why else would it be put on the TODO list ?

...R

Robin2:
To whoever added it, Thank You.
Why would I, or anyone else, need to support it. I presume when it is on the TODO list it will get done. Why else would it be put on the TODO list ?

...R

@Robin2,
so you are saying remove the request? Or are you going to remain all talk?

Jesse

jessemonroy650:
so you are saying remove the request? Or are you going to remain all talk?

Sorry, but I must have a big misunderstanding about something.

I said "Thank you" for adding it.
I said NOTHING about removing it, so I don't know where that idea has come from?

...R

Robin2:

The problem with this is that they would have to read each and every post (not only topic), just to see if there possibly is something that really pertains to them.

Almost all Open Source projects have some form of bug tracker/comment section on the code repository that they are using, be it GitHub or something else. And that is the proper way to contact them, providing suggestions. These forums are more for a user-user communication...

Ralf

PCWorxLA:
The problem with this is that they would have to read each and every post (not only topic), just to see if there possibly is something that really pertains to them.

If you had a business wouldn't you think it worth your while spending time trying to figure out how to please your customers ?

I am only expecting the Arduino folk to do what I (and many other regulars) do. In fact, I am expecting less of them because I read 7 sections of the Forum regularly and the Yun people only need to read 1.

...R

@Robin2,
I've cancelled the issue. Apparently you are only interested in talking. Matter closed.
Jesse

jessemonroy650:
@Robin2,
I've cancelled the issue. Apparently you are only interested in talking. Matter closed.
Jesse

Jesse,

This is grossly unreasonable.
I have no idea why you are taking this attitude.

I have a reasonable track record of contribution to the Arduino Forum and at the very least I am entitled to an explanation.

And please let me know what right you have to cancel any issue ?

...R

Robin2:
If you had a business wouldn't you think it worth your while spending time trying to figure out how to please your customers ?

I am only expecting the Arduino folk to do what I (and many other regulars) do. In fact, I am expecting less of them because I read 7 sections of the Forum regularly and the Yun people only need to read 1.

...R

As a business, I would expect that an issue like this is properly raised through the appropriate channel, which in this case is GitHub, not in a general discussion user forum...
And as we are talking Open Source here, this also allows for you to make a pull request and fix it yourself. Or for someone else interested in the same issue to do so.

Ralf

PCWorxLA:
And as we are talking Open Source here, this also allows for you to make a pull request and fix it yourself. Or for someone else interested in the same issue to do so.

I can see both sides of the argument: being an Open Source development, it's customary for the users to be involved, make reports, support the feature requests, and chip in and fix things themselves.

However, unlike many (most?) Open Source projects, the Arduino (even the Yun) is directly targeted at neophytes and non-technical people who may have enough trouble getting a simple sketch running. It's not necessarily reasonable to expect that sort of user to be knowledgeable enough to create a GitHub account, make reports, and make changes. Given the types of posts on this forum, it seems that simply figuring out how to use the forum has already been a major technical challenge for them. Perhaps the typical Open Source paradigm needs to be relaxed a bit for this particular community?

ShapeShifter:
:::SNIP::::
Given the types of posts on this forum, it seems that simply figuring out how to use the forum has already been a major technical challenge for them. Perhaps the typical Open Source paradigm needs to be relaxed a bit for this particular community?

@ShapeShifter,
it is well understood within the Open Source community that person or persons may not have the capability or desire to contribute. However, if a request is made for some reasonable change or update, then submitting a request in writing is reasonable. However, it is also understood, that bug reporting and pull requests go beyond the mean and ability of most people - so that cannot be expected.

However, if an end-user just talks and have others do the work, then there appears to be no synergy to carry the relationship forward.

As an example, if a UI bug were to come to light under some circumstance that is not in the regression test series, then there is no way a development team address the issue. So, while a person can talk about the issues, if it is not reported then headway can never be made.

In this example, many, if not most, end-users see the benefit of reporting bugs, even if they do not know how. So, it is not unusual for an end-user to ask, "Do they know about this problem?" The common retort is, "They do, but as you know, they have a priority list, and this is low on the list."

You might wonder then, How do we get it higher on the list? The answer is more people have to report the issue.

In short, all known bugs, features, and requests are dealt with during development, and short of any item make a new headline, the expect course of action relates directly to how humans see the priority. So, if the developer see 4 people making a requests for item A and 1 person for item B, then A gets the priority. It is that simple. (This is, of course, means the request is within the mission, goals and capability of the development team.)

If a squeak wheel needs oil, add oil, otherwise keep the wagon moving.

Jesse