#include <EEPROM.h>

#include <EEPROM.h>
I had to reinstall the IDE and used 6.1.3. Now I can’t compile anything with “#include <EEPROM.h>” in it, including the examples. How do I run the sketches?

Can you post your error message, I can compile programs that include
#include <EEPROM.h>
on 6.1.3

dexterj:
I had to reinstall the IDE and used 6.1.3.

6.1.3. WHAT?

If you are doing everything as carefully as writing version numbers ...

C:\Program Files\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\libraries\EEPROM\EEPROM.cpp:40:9: error: redefinition of 'uint8_t EEPROMClass::read(int)'
uint8_t EEPROMClass::read(int address)
^
In file included from C:\Program Files\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\libraries\EEPROM\EEPROM.cpp:26:0:
C:\Program Files\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\libraries\EEPROM\EEPROM.h:120:13: error: 'uint8_t EEPROMClass::read(int)' previously defined here
uint8_t read( int idx ) { return EERef( idx ); }
^
C:\Program Files\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\libraries\EEPROM\EEPROM.cpp:45:6: error: redefinition of 'void EEPROMClass::write(int, uint8_t)'
void EEPROMClass::write(int address, uint8_t value)
^
In file included from C:\Program Files\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\libraries\EEPROM\EEPROM.cpp:26:0:
C:\Program Files\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\libraries\EEPROM\EEPROM.h:121:10: error: 'void EEPROMClass::write(int, uint8_t)' previously defined here
void write( int idx, uint8_t val ) { (EERef( idx )) = val; }
^
C:\Program Files\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\libraries\EEPROM\EEPROM.cpp:50:13: error: redefinition of 'EEPROMClass EEPROM'
EEPROMClass EEPROM;
^
C:\Program Files\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\libraries\EEPROM\EEPROM.h:145:20: error: 'EEPROMClass EEPROM' previously declared here
static EEPROMClass EEPROM;
^
Error compiling.
This is form example eeprom_write. It is 1.6.3

What board are you trying to compile this for?
If the board does not have any EEPROM then it won't compile.

However it looks like you might have two copies of the library somewhere. The best place to post this problem is in installation & troubleshooting.

Thanks I'll look. This is the only place I know. where is "installation & troubleshooting"?

The very first section at the top of the list.

Yes, there are definitely two copies (two different versions being mixed). From version 1.6.2, there is no longer an EEPROM.cpp, its all in the header. Or if you simply copied the new version of the IDE over the top of your existing install, you'll have to manually remove the .cpp.