#include Libraries locations

I am really confused about where to put libraries for sketches that have several "#include <something.h> commands.

Given that C:\Users\Jack\aaaaa\arduino-0022 is my ‘root’ directory, with the 'drivers, examples, hardware, java, etc folders below it.

When I copy/paste a sketch that operates a DS18B20 from the MilesBurton site, the sketch does not work. I know that is because I need the DallasTemerature Library. I have downloaded it with its examples folder, .cpp , .h and several .txt files. I have stuck the folder in a bunch of places, restarted the IDP, and still njo luck.

Can someone please tell me the correct place to install the ‘new’ or ‘foreign’ libraries?
Where can I find the most current OneWire. Library?

Mine are in this path, here is SPI as example

C:\Arduino-0022\libraries\SPI\

sorry , here is the prevaling error code found whenever I try to execute a #include

from this coding…

include <DallasTemperature.h>

int tempSensor;
DallasTemperature tempSensor;

this error
sketch_aug07a.cpp:1:32: error: DallasTemperature.h: No such file or directory
sketch_aug07a:4: error: ‘DallasTemperature’ does not name a type

with this directory present with the above noted folders and files: C:\Users\Jack\aaaaa\arduino-0022\libraries\DallasTemperature
and the sketch loaded from C:\Users\Jack\aaaaa\arduino-0022\examples\sketch_aug07d

Here you say tempSensor is data type int:

int tempSensor;

and then you (attempt to) say it is type DallasTemperature: DallasTemperature tempSensor;

which is not a type. Your code just needs a little work still.

Did you browse the playground to see how others have coded for that library?

Use the Sketch + Import Library... function. From the list of available libraries, you can see that they are divided into two sections. The top list of libraries come from one location. The bottom list (after "Contributed") come from another location.

Make a note of one of the names in the Contributed section. Then, start a file finder window/process to locate that name. Observe how that library is structured - a folder with the name of the library containing libraryName.h, libraryName.cpp, and some other folders.

Put the new library in the same place, structured the same.

On my PC, the library folders are C:\Users\PaulS\Documents\Arduino-0022\libraries (the Arduino installation location) and C:\Users\PaulS\Documents\Arduino\libraries (the libraries folder in my sketchbook).

Thanks, This has been a big help.

I would like to point especially to PaulS's entry for other newbies, with the added note.

Your personal sketchbook is referenced under Files/Preferences and you can 'move' it by changing the entry in Preferences.

To download and create a new library (i.e. DallasTemperature), you needed to make a new folder called 'Libraries' in the your personal Sketchbook as PaulS described, then in 'Libraries' make a new folder called 'DallasTemperature'. When you download a new library (i.e. DallasTemperature), copy it (the example folder and .ccp, .h files etc) into that new folder.

Now when you look at the Sketch + Import Library function, you will see the "Contributed" section, with the DallasTemperature available.

PaulS, I hope you don't mind my additional input, and that you agree with my added notes.

To download and create a new library (i.e. DallasTemperature), you needed to make a new folder called 'Libraries' in the your personal Sketchbook as PaulS described, then in 'Libraries' make a new folder called 'DallasTemperature'.

Correct except the folder must be named 'libraries' (lower case L).