Increased beeping when getting further from transmitter

Hi guys!

I'm quite new at Arduino and I've decided to try my first project! I would like to create a proximity alarm system for my kid. By proximity alarm system I mean: a) transmitter b) receiver. When receiver gets further away from transmitter, receiver starts to beep, increasing in intensity and frequency with distance.

Is this something a beginner like me could do? Or is it too complicated? Any pointers at where to start?

Thank you,

spookeywookey

It won't work. Because of reflections and obstacles in the RF environment, radio signal strength is seldom proportional to distance to any reasonable degree of accuracy.

How about an ultrasonic project?

The further you get from the Arduino, beeping starts, then the frequency gets higher.

The distance should be 3-4 meters, therefore no interference should occur? It's for public places so I don't lose my kid.

spookeywookey: The distance should be 3-4 meters, therefore no interference should occur? It's for public places so I don't lose my kid.

What sort of wireless modules are you thinking of using?

I would not expect any reliably detectable variation in wireless signal strength over that sort of distance - with or without obstacles.

...R

ebay Wouldn't this do the job?

EDIT: or should I rather use BLE?

spookeywookey: ebay Wouldn't this do the job?

What makes you think that?

Have you read the replies you have received?

...R

Yes, but I also know that you can increase or decrease signal strength of some modules.

Would it break your bank to get the pieces you think will work and try them?

Paul

Paul_KD7HB: Would it break your bank to get the pieces you think will work and try them?

+1

spookeywookey: Yes, but I also know that you can increase or decrease signal strength of some modules.

What has that got to do with determining distance based on received signal strength?

...R

OP Have you looked into Smart Tag stuff?

If you look into the same technology as the airport beacons, they have two signals both are transmitted at the same time at say, 0/360 as you change your angle from north, the separation increases. that way, you know the separation of recept of both signals, that then shows what radial you are on.

in your case, you spin until it lines up, then your transmitter is on that line.

The kids receiver/transmitter that received the two, then dinged you back with pulses of the time diference, you could know the round trip.

larryd: OP Have you looked into Smart Tag stuff?

Hey, yeah, I looked into it, but there are many applications for tech like this, I'd like to know how to make one myself. You can tag your dog, your bag, you can tag anything pretty much.

dave-in-nj: If you look into the same technology as the airport beacons, they have two signals both are transmitted at the same time at say, 0/360 as you change your angle from north, the separation increases. that way, you know the separation of recept of both signals, that then shows what radial you are on.

in your case, you spin until it lines up, then your transmitter is on that line.

The kids receiver/transmitter that received the two, then dinged you back with pulses of the time diference, you could know the round trip.

I don't think I need a system that sophisticated. A friend of mine told me to look into BLE for this, I've found there are BLE modules with integrated antennas. As far as I understand I'd need to hook it up to a controller and make the code for signal and i would have my transmitter. Then I would need some kind of BLE receiver, which is where I'm stuck conceptually atm...

spookeywookey: Then I would need some kind of BLE receiver, which is where I'm stuck conceptually atm...

Aren't they all over the place?

aarg: Aren't they all over the place?

I know they're in phones but am yet to find a BLE receiver module. Or does the same module transmit and receive?

Hi,

WHOA here: Bluetooth and Bluetooth Low Energy are RF communications standards. They send and receive DATA. You have to have them communicate with each other and set up a connection "Pair " them.

Sorry, but I don't think you are understanding what this is all about.

Try to find some example of what works in some project...

ok, thank you, i guess I'm off to do a little bit more reading.