Installation on an older mac (OS 10.6.8)

I'm hoping there's a straight forward solution to this that's cheap. I have an old mac that I want to use to programme my Arduino Uno. I've not installed the environment to be able to code it yet, but obviously need to.

What do I do if I can't use the latest download environment because of compatibility issues.

Thanks
Amy

If the latest won't work, try earlier versions. They are all still available:

Excellent!

Thank you.
Amy

... but how does one discern which version of the IDE is compatible with 10.6.8? Trial and error?

OS version details are not provided in the table.

Thanks,
echidna

echidna:
... but how does one discern which version of the IDE is compatible with 10.6.8? Trial and error?

The Arduino IDE is a Java app. I suspect the problem is that Oracle Java 7 requires Mac OS X 10.7.3 ("Lion") or higher. With Mac OS X 10.6 ("Snow Leopard") you're limited to the Java 6 version provided by Apple. If your hardware won't support Lion you will probably have to use Arduino 1.0.6 which, I think, is compatible with Java 6.

Snow Leopard is about 5 years old. Apple usually provides OS support for hardware up to 5 years old. If your Mac hardware can't support Lion it's probably close to 10 years old now. This might be a good opportunity to upgrade to newer hardware.

1.0.6 works for me with Leopard Snow. I need this IDE version for programming a DUE.

THANKS, you just saved my life!
now i can use my arduino with this old mac, that until today was useless!

The link for downloading and installing Arduino 1.0.6 worked great. Thank you!

Version 1.6.1 was the last to support Snow Leopard.

Between 1.5.7 to 1.6.1, two Mac versions were offered. The "Java 7" version which requires Lion (10.7) or later became the only Mac version starting with 1.6.2.

I have an old macbook and would like to dedicate it to arduino programming solely.

Anyone happen to have CH34x drivers for that OS ?

I could not make it run due to "i386 architecture is missing".

I've tried versions down to 1.3 CH34x