Installing Platform 'CONTROLLINO_Boards:avr' running on Slackware-ARM

Hello.
I am trying to install the platform CONTROLLINO_Boards:avr running on Slackware ARM. The installation gives me the following output

Downloading packages...
arduino:avr-gcc@7.3.0-atmel3.6.1-arduino7 arduino:avr-gcc@7.3.0-atmel3.6.1-arduino7 already downloaded
Error during install: Error downloading tool arduino:avrdude@6.3.0-arduino8: no versions available for the current OS

Atm i'm not sure what to do. I installed avrdude-6.4 system wide using slackbuilds.org but maybe arduino-cli wants avrdude to be in /packages/builtin/tools/. Simply copying the binary didn't work btw.
Are there any configuration hints on how to work around this?
TIA

You are on the right track, but that is not the location. The tool is expected to be installed here:

~/.arduino15/packages/arduino/tools/avrdude/6.3.0-arduino8

You can try manually installing your AVRDUDE there. The folder structure should look like this:

6.3.0-arduino8/
├── bin/
│   └── avrdude
└── etc/
    └── avrdude.conf

There are some potential problems with this approach because the AVRDUDE distributed by Arduino has some modifications compared to the official upstream AVRDUDE (though work is being done to reduce this as much as possible in future versions).

If you don't have the avrdude.conf file, you can download the x86 version of arduino:avrdude@6.3.0-arduino8, extract the archive, then take the file from there (it is only the avrdude binary that is host architecture specific; the avrdude.conf file is universal to any host):

http://downloads.arduino.cc/tools/avrdude-6.3.0-arduino8-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu.tar.bz2

I tried the approach this way - simply copying /usr/bin/avrdude (Version 6.4.0) to ~/.arduino15/packages/arduino/tools/avrdude/6.3.0-arduino8 and /etc/avrdude.conf like in the tree you described.
The installation proceeds rather successfully. I wonder when it will fall on my head that the actual binary is v6.4.0 and the folder is called '6.3.0-arduino8'

Anyway, thanks you for now!

You are welcome. Great work on finding a way around this difficulty!

As I mentioned, I had some concerns about whether there would be problems (more about the lack of Arduino's patches in your build than about the version disparity), but if you are able to upload then everthing should be perfectly fine. It's pretty much a binary result with uploads, where any result between complete success and complete failure is very rare.

Regards,
Per

After setting everything up i get from ´arduino-cli upload /path/to/sketch.ino´:

Error during Upload: Unknown FQBN: missing platform release arduino:avr referenced by board CONTROLLINO_Boards:avr:controllino_mini

is that was i was referring to by 'fall on my head'?
(is this even the correct expression? English is not native tongue)

If anybody knows a workaround i'd be glad.

Boards platforms can reference resources from other platforms. This feature allows the creation of custom boards platforms without having to duplicate a lot of code. The CONTROLLINO_Boards:avr platform references resources from the arduino:avr platform, which means it has a dependency on that platform being installed.

The error indicates you do not have the arduino:avr platform installed. You can resolve this by running the following command:

arduino-cli core install arduino:avr

Hopefully this platform will install without any problems on your ARM machine (unlike the CONTROLLINO_Boards:avr platform, the tool dependencies of the arduino:avr:1.8.6 platform release that will be installed are built for the Linux ARM 64-bit host, which I am assuming is what is needed for your machine).

No, I'm certain this is unrelated to your manual installation of AVRDUDE.

I don't think it is a common saying in English, but it is very nice and the meaning is immediately clear. I think the standard equivalent saying in English would be "come back to bite me".

Thanks for the profund explaination it really helps. I still get an error that 'avr-g++' is missing when trying to compile a sketch, and that particular file does not exist. Please tell me when this thread goes off topic too far, there are some other flaws too like when trying to open a serial monitor with

arduino-cli monitor -p /dev/ttyACM0

i get:

Error getting port settings details: Port monitor error: fork/exec /home/me/.arduino15/packages/builtin/tools/serial-monitor/0.11.0/serial-monitor: no such file or directory

Allthough that file does exist.

I guess most of these quirks can be lead back to unresolved dependencies or misconfiguration of arduino-cli. After all an intended 'sidequest' of this project was to make myself familiar with slackware and i guess there's much to learn.

So thank you for your answers so far

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.