Instead of IR transmitter / receiver, wire directly?

Hy

I currently use an Arduino to control a device over an IR LED. Is it possible to use two wires directly from the Arduino output to the IR of the device and use the same code I used before to control it via the IR LED?

Andy

GekoCH: Hy

I currently use an Arduino to control a device over an IR LED. Is it possible to use two wires directly from the Arduino output to the IR of the device and use the same code I used before to control it via the IR LED?

Andy

Probably the easiest way to do it (and avoid any ground loop or polarity problems) would be to use an opto-isolator.

The circuit that drives the IR LED would go to the opto input and it's output would go to the IR receiver circuit.

As you probably guessed, you will hit a problem with the modulated signal, which will not be recognised at the receiving end. Unfortunaely for you, the signal that arrives at the IR receiver is also inverted.

It is possible to do it but you would have to make changes to the internals of the library.

Some hints (untested) for the library on the sending side only: - Swap mark() and space() functions and set the modulation duty cycle to 100% instead of 33.33%

isolation & grounding may also be an issue as already pointed out.

It would be much simpler to use Serial or softwareserial instead (you only need to connect Tx on the sending side to Rx on the receiving side, plus GNDs.

PS: All of the above is untested.

hmm thx for the reply's.. Sounds a bit too complicated... But I will give it a try

Andy

Probably best to stick with Serial as an alternative…

can't use serial since the other device (video switch) has just an IR Receiver...

Andy

GekoCH: Hy

Andy

Not easily.

can't use serial since the other device (video switch) has just an IR Receiver...

In that case just just figure out the timings for each signal you want to send (uSecs) and write a script to toggle a digital output pin on your Arduino. Remember it should be inverted.

In the target device you would have to think about making the connection at the output of the IR receiver. Either disconnect the IR receiver or design in some sort of LOGIC OR gate to isolate the 2 signals from each other.

You haven't explained why you cannot use the existing IR. If it is in another room you can get IR repeaters/extenders etc. or connect 2 Arduinos via RF.

thx for the ideas. The problem this device is flying :) And the space for an IR LED and Receiver is just to small to fit in.

I will try to do it with a digital pin. Before I use the IRremote.h library to control the board with those commands:

define MENU 0x4FB906F

define MODE 0x4FB02FD

define ENTER 0x4FB8877

define ARROWUP 0x4FBF807

define ARROWDOWN 0x4FB6897

define ARROWRIGHT 0x4FBA857

define ARROWLEFT 0x4FBD827

define MODE1 0x4FB32CD

define MODE2 0x4FB20DF

define MODE3 0x4FB00FF

define MODE4 0x4FB50AF

define MODE5 0x4FB7887

define MODE6 0x4FB708F

define MODE7 0x4FB58A7

define CH1 0x4FB38C7

define CH2 0x4FB28D7

define CH3 0x4FBF00F

define CH4 0x4FB30CF

Andy

FYI: there are SMD IR receivers & emitters that are much smaller..... There are even miniature IR receivers that are used with some phones.

Flying!.....do tell more :)

I use a "small" Quadrocopter to do some aerial filming. It has two cameras on board. The video Switch is there to get both Images in a PiP mode or switch between one or another camera over my Remote Control. An Arduino is now sensing the values from the transmitter and sends the IR pulses to de Video switch. This was a test flight with the video Switch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pu4scjeRMT4

Andy

Impressive...some of the scenes reminded me of "Sound of Music" way back when... :)

thanks.