Interfacing a MEGA 2560 to PC without Arduino IDE - Solved #1

Have developed a code on Mega2560 to communicate via the USB port with an application running on a WIN10 PC.

For checkout I am going to give it to a person who has no Arduino IDE installed on his PC. So which Driver he has to download to make his PC communicate with the Mega 2560 USB port ?

Just located one … can I use THIS ?

Thanks !

Never download and install something that you just happen to find somewhere !

Do you have a good virus scanner. Did you download things from unknown origin before ? Perhaps you should wipe your drive and reinstall Windows.

It depends on the Mega 2560 board.

What harm could it do to install the Arduino IDE ?

Is the other person using Windows 7 ? That is weird. I hope that computer is not connected to internet.

The official Arduino board has drivers that are included with the Arduino IDE. When you download the .zip file from the **official* Arduino site: https://www.arduino.cc/en/software, then there is a folder "drivers", that contains all the latest drivers for all the Arduino boards. I suggest to install the whole package for all Arduino boards.

A clone might need the CH340G driver. If you need that driver, then download it from the official manufacturer's page: www.wch.cn/download/ch341ser_exe.html.

There is an other option: Tell the other person to use linux and add himself/herself to the "dialout" group. That's all for linux. The drivers are already included.

You don't explain your problem coherently. This may be because you don't actually have one. You don't need any driver to communicate with a Mega. Any PC terminal programme can do that. RealTerm is one choice. There are others, all are free.

Ardubit: Just located one ... can I use THIS ?

Probably not.

Koepel: Never download and install something that you just happen to find somewhere !

Do you have a good virus scanner. Did you download things from unknown origin before ? Perhaps you should wipe your drive and reinstall Windows.

It depends on the Mega 2560 board.

What harm could it do to install the Arduino IDE ?

Is the other person using Windows 7 ? That is weird. I hope that computer is not connected to internet.

The official Arduino board has drivers that are included with the Arduino IDE. When you download the .zip file from the **official* Arduino site: https://www.arduino.cc/en/software, then there is a folder "drivers", that contains all the latest drivers for all the Arduino boards. I suggest to install the whole package for all Arduino boards.

A clone might need the CH340G driver. If you need that driver, then download it from the official manufacturer's page: www.wch.cn/download/ch341ser_exe.html.

There is an other option: Tell the other person to use linux and add himself/herself to the "dialout" group. That's all for linux. The drivers are already included.

A very well made out response that was helpful with adequate warnings. The Drivers folder in the IDE installer ZIP version is the exact one I was looking for. I can now share that alone and close the subject. Thanks for pointing out this !!