Interfacing with 4-20mA sensors

Hello,
I am working on a project to connect 3, 4-20mA industrial sensors that measure pH, turbidity and free chlorine residual to arduino UNO. I have seen the forums that show the conversion to 0 to 5V but I would like to know if there is a shield that would make this process simpler which may have been explained as this is something new I am trying.

I have found this shield "http://www.olimex.cl/pdf/User%20Manual%20MCI-TDD-00792%20.pdf" but I cant find any reviews or articles of its use.

Any assistance on connecting multiple 4-20mA sensors to arduino uno would be appreciated.

Those sensors will output a current of between 4 to 20 mA.

The short answer, is to force the current to flow through a suitable resistor, and then measure the voltage across the resistor using the arduino analog measuring pin.

If you have a 250 ohm resistor, forcing between 4 and 20 mA to flow though it, will create a voltage of between 1 and 5 volts, which you measure with the arduino.

Thanks for the info, was just hoping to get a shield that does this but I guess it looks like the best thing to do is just convert the output.

It would be nice if there was a shield that had 12 bit A/D for the full range of 4-20ma or 1 -5 volt. with terminal blocks and a power converter that took 24vdc and dropped it down to 5 vdc to power the Ardunio. If it used the SPI lib would be nice too. This would be very useful in Industrial control applications

Sounds easy enough to make one up.
RECOM DC/DC adapter, microchip ADC

Found in the thread i2c external A/D converter instead of Arduino analog inputs? - Project Guidance - Arduino Forum is a reference to this:
"I2C, 12-Bit, 8-Ch Analog-to-Digital Converter" at I2C 12-Bit, 8-CH Analog-to-Digital Converter

I haven't purchased from that company, but for $20 it sounds very interesting.

Or get as 8 channel, 12-bit ADC in a DIP formt

Fast SPI interface.

Simple code to read it every 5mS and send the data out:

void loop(){
  // Elapsed time check for ADC and Switch reading
  if (millis()>=previousMillis){

previousMillis = previousMillis + 5; // set for next 5 mS interval

// read ADC with 3 byte transfer
    PORTB = PORTB & B11111011;  // ADC_SS, LOW
    // ADCaddress = 0x0600, 640, 680, 6C0, 700, 740, 780, 7C0
    dummyADC = SPI.transfer (highByte(ADCaddress));  // 0x06, 0x07 out, read in dummy data
    highADC = SPI.transfer (lowByte(ADCaddress));    // 0x00, 0x40, 0x80, 0xC0, read in upper 4 bits
    lowADC = SPI.transfer (0);              // dummy 0 byte out , read in lower 8 bits
    PORTB = PORTB | B00000100; // ADC_SS, HIGH

// send the data out

Serial.write (ADCsyncbyte);      // syncbyte = B00110011, 0x33
    // bits 4-3-2 = 0 when switch pressed. Invert them.  Leave bits 1-0 alone. No bits 7-6. Bit 5 not used.
    Serial.write (PINC ^ B0011100);   // 3 switches on Port C, make them 1 if 0 (1 EXOR 1 = 0, 0 EXOR 1 = 1, 0 EXOR 0 = 0
    Serial.write (address_count);    // find way to put this in top nibble of next command?
    Serial.write (highADC & 0x0F);   // send it out
    Serial.write (lowADC);           // send it out

// prep address_count for next pass. Used to create ADC select, DAC select
    address_count = address_count +1;  // 0 to 7, pass to Rx for DAC sync
    if (address_count == 8){ 
      address_count = 0;
    }  // reset if hit all 8

ADCaddress = baseADCaddress + (address_count * 0x40); // update for next ADC pass

} // end 5mS test
} // end loop

Do these A/D chips give you a full range on 1 - 5v for the 4095 counts or do you loose counts for 0 - 1 v?

Hi,

Can you give link to your sensors ?

Clio

Hi all,

If I understood correctly, this 4-20ma to 0-5V converter might be useful for your project.

elle

Here's another one.

moorsb:
Do these A/D chips give you a full range on 1 - 5v for the 4095 counts or do you loose counts for 0 - 1 v?

I believe you'd lose the 0 - 1 V range when using the MCP3208 chip. I've used the MCP3208 several times myself but I don't think I understand all its features. I believe you can use a reference voltage which is lower than 5V but I don't think you can change the lower end of its measurement range.

I'd be very interested in an ADC chip which would allow one to set independent endpoints for both the bottom of the measurement range as well as independently setting the upper endpoint of the measurement range.