Interfacing with Android Phone/Tablet/Mini Pc

Hi Guys,

I made a robot that is controlled over Wifi/3G and I used two android devices to control my robot from anywhere.
I used one android device with USB host mode and installed my application "Droid Host for Arduino".This android device is located at the robot itself. In my case I used 30$ mk802 mini pc.

I installed the other app "Droid Control for Arduino" on my tablet.
After setting up the network configuration-which one will be TCP server and which client I was able to control my robot from anywhere. I added support for camera stream and now I am able to see the camera of my robot on my tablet.
Both application are in google play-both free and without adds.

If someone needs 3G,Wifi,Camera features on thair arduino project and they have 2 android devices/both android 4+,one with USB host mode/ they can use this software-its fully customizable.

Please let me know if you have any problems and I will do my best to solve the problem.

I dont want this to look like an add-the apps are free and I don't have benefits from them.
I just want to make them better and help someone which wants to connect android and arduino and control them remotly without any shields etc..

Droid control for Arduino can be found here:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=arduino.robot.control&hl=en

Droid host for Arduino can be found here:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=arduino.robot&hl=en

Video tutorial(Sorry about quality and my english):

Cheers

The playground is editable by anyone registered on the forum. In the Interfacing with Software section, you could add some information about your apps. Don't overdo it, like the iPhone app idiot did, or we'll be forced to correct your over-zealousness. The information you posted here would be fine, along with a couple of screen shots and links to where to get the code.

I want to be hard wired into the Arduino. I am going to check out those links now to see what they offer. I know you are talking wifi, but, I need to start to get an idea how they communicate. What "I" want to do is make touch screen interface menus, read probes like temp etc. I would like to make an aquarium controller with touch screen capabilities. Is there provisions for that? I am a noob so please dont shoot me if it is obvious, lol.

Thanks.

1ArduinoFan:
I want to be hard wired into the Arduino. I am going to check out those links now to see what they offer. I know you are talking wifi, but, I need to start to get an idea how they communicate. What "I" want to do is make touch screen interface menus, read probes like temp etc. I would like to make an aquarium controller with touch screen capabilities. Is there provisions for that? I am a noob so please dont shoot me if it is obvious, lol.

Thanks.

Ok 2 Questions
1.You want to control the aquarium remotely or locally?
E.g remotely means that you are sitting in your office and you want to control your aquarium that is located in your home.
By locally I mean you go next to the aquarium and connect your tablet with the cable to your arduino project and you get some data and you do some stuff?
Both are possible with the apps-just let me know what you prefer so I can guide you how to do it.

2.There is no way to use your own written UI and touchscreen butons and controls. You can use the predefined ones.
Each control(in Droid Control for Arduino) can send byte command to the Arduino board.You can define those bytes.

Interesting project - didn't have time to test it yet but it does seem promising. Has anyone used it and can say something about it?

In my case I used 30$ mk802 mini pc

I've been considering using these for a while. They are a lot cheaper than smartphones, have amazingly good hardware given their price and power consumption isn't bad at all. Android dongles seem like a pretty good alternative to the raspberry PI especially given that its GPIOs suc# anyway.

Hey tonko_lonko, how's it going?

I want to reach it from both, but, since I dont even know how to code "hi" on a LCD, away would be for another day. For the time being, I want to have touch capabilities in home hard wired. I have a 3.2 LCD touch screen on the way, but I would like to be able to use a android tablet (or something of the sorts) and just plug into the USB and go. I assume I would have to make an android app, or, if I could just burn/reformat another OS to get it to communicate, that would be fine. One day when I get the basics of the tank down, I will try for wireless, webserver and so on.

Even though I already have a 3.2 touch screen, I still would like the android info if you have some. I can always sell the 3.2 screen later to pay for a hair weave after I pull mine all out trying to get either or to work, I see this coming, lol.

Thanks

1ArduinoFan:
Hey tonko_lonko, how's it going?

I want to reach it from both, but, since I dont even know how to code "hi" on a LCD, away would be for another day. For the time being, I want to have touch capabilities in home hard wired. I have a 3.2 LCD touch screen on the way, but I would like to be able to use a android tablet (or something of the sorts) and just plug into the USB and go. I assume I would have to make an android app, or, if I could just burn/reformat another OS to get it to communicate, that would be fine. One day when I get the basics of the tank down, I will try for wireless, webserver and so on.

Even though I already have a 3.2 touch screen, I still would like the android info if you have some. I can always sell the 3.2 screen later to pay for a hair weave after I pull mine all out trying to get either or to work, I see this coming, lol.

Thanks

I have uloaded video tutorial with bad quality and bad english:)You can check it /in the first post/ and decide if the both applications can be used in your case.

Note that MK802 mini pc connected to the Arduino board is using Droid Host for Arduino and the Nexus 7 Tablet is using Droid Control for Arduino to send/receive data to/from Arduino board.

Cheers

Hello again. Hmmmm, well, I leave so quickly with question, the answer was right in front of my face!? :blush:

I am looking at it now, but I do not understand a few things. I noticed that I have to have my "device" connected to the internet to download the programs onto my devices. Since the program needs to be burned to the amtel chip (I assume), do we not need the application to be in a zip form of some sort to extract the file to be able to write it to the chip? Also, this being an open source web site, I was hoping I could down load the "Droid control" app to my computer and tweak its windows.

Maybe I can do all of this, but I will have to check further as i just woke up :slight_smile:

Thanks for the help.

Edit: I just found out where it says you can not download to your computer, only Droid devices. So, maybe I need:

{ Droid ---> USB cable ---> Arduino web server (pages on web server will have the look and buttons I want) ---> web server then reports to MAIN arduino to control the aquarium system }

My only next question is (I believe this is a simple answer but just dont know) I should be able to control the web site buttons with the droid touch, correct?

Hi what about the arduino schetch to read command?
can you post an example?
thanks

Hi, I am using my samsung s4 with droid control for arduino app and a nexus 7 tablet with droid host for arduino app, they are connected. The idea is to use the nexus 7 voice control and camera to control the robot, nexus 7 will send commands to arduino mega for motors commands by droid host for arduino app.
the nexus 7 is connected with an OTG usb cable to Arduino mega, but the droid host app for arduino on Nexus 7 doesn't recognize the usb device(arduino mega)
Do I need to upload any particular sketch on the arduino mega? like firmata or?
nexus 7 it is able for usb host, I can use arduino commander which recognize my arduino mega with a basic firmata at 9600.
thanks

hi
i am using your app in my project so i have many questions :slight_smile:
how can connect between the 2 devices ? just from confi ?
and what is this shield that you used in vedio ?

Hey guys! Did someone find a source code for the arduino board that will let to use this apps????