Introduction to YCommunicator - simple device-to-device communication

Hello all,

First some introduction...
Although this is my first post in this forum, I'm proud to say that I've been getting a lot of help from reading through posts here, finding resolutions to my making problems :slight_smile:
Thanks everyone here for sharing their knowledge and experience!
As one of the founders of the Israeli Arduino community, I can say that this forum has been an inspiration for us. I also want to invite the Hebrew speakers here to join us on Facebook (search for "????????") and on Makers.co.il .

BTW, sorry for my language and writing style, I'm not a native English speaker...

Now to some more professional stuff...

I would like to introduce a project I've been working on for some time now - YCommunicator (the name is not final. suggestions are welcome).
Me, as many of you, was seeking a way to remotely control my Arduino project. Naturally for me, the trivial solution was to write a mobile application that communicated with Arduino via Bluetooth.
One problem was that I'm not an Android developer so I needed to search for help or to waste a lot of time learning Android development.
Another issue was to plan and code the communication protocol. As many others, I found that I was "inventing" a communication protocol and Datagram, custom made for my needs.
This really takes a lot of time, when all I need is a some Android app with buttons to control my Arduino.

So I started working on a new project with the following goals:

• Implement standard, bi-directional, device-to-device communication with easy programming interface. This has already been implemented both for Arduino (C++ library) and for Android (Java library).
  • Have a simple mobile application that one configure to have a custom set of controls

As I said, the basic stuff is already implemented and can be viewed here (see "Implementations" section): GitHub - oyagev/YCommunicator: A protocol and implementation of "device to device" serial communication, originally planned for connecting Arduino and other devices via serial communication.

You can see a short video demo here (surprizing feature at 0:40) :

What's nice about this library, is that it allows fast start for makers that do not want to develop their own communication protocol or mobile app UI. The android app is flexible, allowing one to add buttons, scrolls, etc. The programming layer is simple: listening on the Serial port and registering Callback function to specific "commands" that arrive.
More information can he found on the GitHub repositories.

Also, Help is needed!
More mobile apps for different platforms, PC applications, etc.

Thanks everyone who survived reading this :wink: I would love to get your feedback...