is Arduino dead ??????

Recently I have downgraded from Arduino 1.8.9 which was very unstable to Ver 1.6.7 which worked for few months...Now nothing complies anymore...even the simplest Blink code does not compile...I chkd on the forums, ..bla bla...go there ..delete such & such...uninstall .....did all on the forums and still not functional...I am using authentic Win7-64 ...what on earth is going on with Arduino...please help...

How can you expect to get help when you don't provide any useful information? After 144 posts I'd think you'd have learned how things work here.

Please do this:

• When you encounter an error, you'll see a button on the right side of the orange bar "Copy error messages" in the Arduino IDE (or the icon that looks like two pieces of paper at the top right corner of the black console window in the Arduino Web Editor). Click that button..
  • In a forum reply here, click on the reply field.
  • Click the </> button on the forum toolbar. This will add the forum's code tags markup to your reply.
  • Press "Ctrl + V". This will paste the error between the code tags.
  • Move the cursor outside of the code tags before you add any additional text to your reply.

If the text exceeds the forum's 9000 character limit, save it to a .txt file and post it as an attachment. If you click the "Reply" button here, you will see an "Attachments and other settings" link.

pert:
How can you expect to get help when you don't provide any useful information? After 144 posts I'd think you'd have learned how things work here.

Nah man, its because people like you are DELETED PROFANITY for no reason.

Barnstormer is on a time out.

Bob

ballscrewbob:
Barnstormer is on a extended time out.

Bob

(USELESS STUFF DELETED)
here are the error msgs:

Arduino: 1.6.7 (Windows 7), Board: "Arduino Nano, ATmega328"

sketch\Blink.ino.cpp.o: In function `setup':

C:\Users\Greazlog.Greazlog-PC\Downloads\arduino-1.6.7\examples\01.Basics\Blink/Blink.ino:20: undefined reference to `pinMode'

sketch\Blink.ino.cpp.o: In function `loop':

C:\Users\Greazlog.Greazlog-PC\Downloads\arduino-1.6.7\examples\01.Basics\Blink/Blink.ino:25: undefined reference to `digitalWrite'

C:\Users\Greazlog.Greazlog-PC\Downloads\arduino-1.6.7\examples\01.Basics\Blink/Blink.ino:27: undefined reference to `digitalWrite'

C:\Users\GREAZL~1.GRE\AppData\Local\Temp\buildae945db7ff01d245a24ddba8d04ba049.tmp/core\core.a(wiring.c.o): In function `delay':

C:\Users\Greazlog.Greazlog-PC\Downloads\arduino-1.6.7\hardware\arduino\avr\cores\arduino/wiring.c:111: undefined reference to `yield'

collect2.exe: error: ld returned 1 exit status

exit status 1
Error compiling.

This report would have more information with
"Show verbose output during compilation"
enabled in File > Preferences.

Goldenshuttle:
not impressed w Pert reply.

So you really expected to get meaningful help without giving any meaningful info but just had a wee rant, and then aren't impressed when someone asks for details and you call that bullying?

You could try the Arduino Help Desk... oh wait, there isn't one.

Goldenshuttle could be the next to take a time out.

I agree with Per's Sentiment...
145 posts should be enough to see we try to be nice to each other and also that the OP's need to provide DETAILS to a problem to get the best results.

Bob.

This is indeed a strange error. I can understand why you're frustrated. It's unfortunate that you felt the need to roll all the way back to Arduino IDE 1.6.7. There were a lot of problems in the 1.6.6 and 1.6.7 releases caused by the switch to using the arduino-builder tool. I think 1.6.5-r5 and 1.6.9 were the most stable releases of the 1.6.x series. I don't remember anything about Arduino IDE 1.6.7 that would have caused this particular problem, but that was a long time ago.

So far, I don't have a good theory on what would cause this. Maybe the verbose compilation output will provide a clue.

Please do this:

• (In the Arduino IDE) click File > Preferences
  • Check the box next to "Show verbose output during: > compilation
  • Click "OK"
  • Sketch > Verify/Compile
  • After the compilation fails you'll see a button on the right side of the orange bar "Copy error messages". Click that button.
  • In a forum reply here, click on the reply field.
  • Click the </> button on the forum toolbar. This will add the forum's code tags markup to your reply.
  • Press "Ctrl + V". This will paste the compilation output between the code tags.
  • Move the cursor outside of the code tags before you add any additional text to your reply.

If the length of the output exceeds the forum's 9000 character limit, save it in a .txt file and post it here as an attachment. If you click the "Reply" button you'll see the "Attachments and other options" link.

IIRC 1.6.7 was buggy (as was 1.6.6, and especially 1.6.10). 1.6.5r5, 1.6.9 and I think 1.6.11 were the good ones in 1.6.x. I have had no issues with 1.8.9 - actually other than the issue with 1.6.22 and 1.6.23 of the official avr board package using a bad version of the compiler that can segfault under certain circumstances (which you fix by using board manager to downgrade to 1.6.21), 1.8.9 hasn't given me a bit of trouble.

Unfortunately, you assessment of what parts are and are not useful is mistaken. Everything you included suggests that there is another error further up in the output that contains the critical information about the problem that caused all of those other errors.

I have tried to copy and paste the error msg but it is so long that this forum settings limit of 2000 chrs, will not accept it >>> :slight_smile:

I think that somehow you are ending up with a mixture of different versions of the AVR core library (as wiring.c is referencing yield(), yet that doesn't seem to be defined; it's in a different file, and my guess is that that file is from a different version of the core

My advice:

Uninstall 1.6.7. It is a version that is known to have serious bugs.

delete C:/users/(your username)/AppData (hidden folder)/Local/Arduino15

Reinstall 1.8.9

You should be either back to a working IDE, or back to the original error, which you can then post and get a proper solution for.

I tried to compile the blink code, got error as usual...after deleting the repeated lines, here is the error ..please help

C:\Users\GREAZL~1.GRE\AppData\Local\Temp\buildae945db7ff01d245a24ddba8d04ba049.tmp\sketch\Blink.ino.cpp.o: In function `setup':

C:\Users\Greazlog.Greazlog-PC\Downloads\arduino-1.6.7\examples\01.Basics\Blink/Blink.ino:20: undefined reference to `pinMode'

C:\Users\GREAZL~1.GRE\AppData\Local\Temp\buildae945db7ff01d245a24ddba8d04ba049.tmp\sketch\Blink.ino.cpp.o: In function `loop':

C:\Users\Greazlog.Greazlog-PC\Downloads\arduino-1.6.7\examples\01.Basics\Blink/Blink.ino:25: undefined reference to `digitalWrite'

C:\Users\Greazlog.Greazlog-PC\Downloads\arduino-1.6.7\examples\01.Basics\Blink/Blink.ino:27: undefined reference to `digitalWrite'

C:\Users\GREAZL~1.GRE\AppData\Local\Temp\buildae945db7ff01d245a24ddba8d04ba049.tmp/core\core.a(wiring.c.o): In function `delay':

C:\Users\Greazlog.Greazlog-PC\Downloads\arduino-1.6.7\hardware\arduino\avr\cores\arduino/wiring.c:111: undefined reference to `yield'

collect2.exe: error: ld returned 1 exit status

exit status 1
Error compiling.

Goldenshuttle:
here is the error ..please help

\arduino-1.6.7\

Well you had this help so far:

DrAzzy:
Uninstall 1.6.7.

DrAzzy:
I think that somehow you are ending up with a mixture of different versions of the AVR core library (as wiring.c is referencing yield(), yet that doesn't seem to be defined; it's in a different file, and my guess is that that file is from a different version of the core

My advice:

Uninstall 1.6.7. It is a version that is known to have serious bugs.

delete C:/users/(your username)/AppData (hidden folder)/Local/Arduino15

Reinstall 1.8.9

You should be either back to a working IDE, or back to the original error, which you can then post and get a proper solution for.

I tried to uninstall but I could not find arduino in the installed programs list...so I only deleted the Arduino15 folder..is this enough to uninstall ? I am not sure because when click on the Arduino shortcut, the IDE opens......also, the 1.8.9 download oade says requires Win 8.1 or newer...will my win7-64 accept that ? or should move to lesser version ?

Goldenshuttle:
I tried to uninstall but I could not find arduino in the installed programs list.

You used the "Windows ZIP file for non admin install" version of the Arduino IDE. This version does not install the Arduino IDE. So to uninstall, just delete C:\Users\Greazlog.Greazlog-PC\Downloads\arduino-1.6.7.

Goldenshuttle:
the 1.8.9 download oade says requires Win 8.1 or newer...will my win7-64 accept that ? or should move to lesser version ?

You read it wrong. It's only the Windows App version of the Arduino IDE that requires Windows 8.1 and newer. The "Windows Installer, for Windows XP and up" and "Windows ZIP file for non admin install" versions of the IDE can be use with Windows versions going all the way back to XP. You just need to click on that text on the downloads page. Don't get distracted by the shiny "Get" button that leads you to try to use the Windows App version.

Thanks indeed..i will try this tonight..hope 2 get things running. Cheers

now it compiles but doesn t load...changed USB from which I am loading but no results..this is the error

Arduino: 1.8.9 (Windows 7), Board: "Arduino Nano, ATmega328P"

Sketch uses 930 bytes (3%) of program storage space. Maximum is 30720 bytes.
Global variables use 9 bytes (0%) of dynamic memory, leaving 2039 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2048 bytes.
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 2 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 3 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 4 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 5 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 6 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 7 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 8 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 9 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 10 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
An error occurred while uploading the sketch

This report would have more information with
"Show verbose output during compilation"
option enabled in File -> Preferences.

This is progress!

Select Tools > Processor > ATmega328P (Old Bootloader) and try uploading again.

pert:
This is progress!

Select Tools > Processor > ATmega328P (Old Bootloader) and try uploading again.

Voala...The above worked, cannot thank you enough...being late from the project in hand for weeks because of this...many many thanks indeed. Once complete, shall post a link to youtube.