Is it possible to use Java to program the Arduino?

Hello. Im fluent with Java and I want to stick with it. I've heard from a friend that is possible to controll Arduino with java, but i cannot see how to do that.

Is it possible to use Java to program the Arduino? Any extra library to fitt in?

I don't think any kind of jvm can fit into the small flash and ram size of the Atmega 328. Maybe via a java -> c++ translator, or maybe on a Due...

OTOH, if by "control" you mean talk to the arduino, you can do it via its virtual serial port. You can design your own serial protocol (even a dead simple one, like one char = one action) and write a java application that speaks it (you need the corresponding sketch, of course), or you can use an established one, like firmata.

Is it possible to use Java to program the Arduino?

No.

This question has already been asked:

http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,2475.0.html

Ok. Then i need to learn C++ insted.

Thank you.

Beware: no garbage collection! :)

You might wish to check out NetDuino, probably a lot more suited to you than Arduino.

For me, I think Java (although i'm still having to try and learn it to write an app for android i have in mind !! day 3, still yet to run Eclipse after downloading it lol) is the spawn of satan :) - and I'm agnostic lol

There could be 2 meanings to your question.

(1) Do you want your sketches to be written in Java? (2) Or do you want to be able to control the Arduino in real-time using Java?

The answer to the second question is yes. You can use the Firmata library (or write your own) to control the Arduino in real-time using communication via the Serial port.

Let me know if you would like further clarification.

There could be 23 meanings to your question.

(3) write Java code to download the compiled hex file to the Arduino's boot loader. 8)