Is it possible to use multiple MCU's to "work together" ?

Hello,

For my project I am creating a DIY MIDI DJ mixer. I am using this link as a reference;

My mixer will consist of;
--21 potentiometers
--5 slide potentiometers
--43 buttons
--3 rotary encoders
--one large display
--two 4-digit 7-segment displays
--Various amount of LED's

That's a lot of I/O pins!!!!

I plan on using Teensy 3.6 MCU's.

My question is, can I interface multiple MCU's in my project in order to account for all the I/O pins?

-If so, this would theoretically help me reduce as much time delay as possible right?

Thank you.

-Kevin

This

-If so, this would theoretically help me reduce as much time delay as possible right?

Makes no sense at all.

My question is, can I interface multiple MCU's in my project in order to account for all the I/O pins?

Yes - but it's - pointless expensive and unnecessary look at I/O expansion in the learning zone.

Mark

I suppose what I meant is that having all that code in a program would theoretically create a slower response time for data being sent to and from the I/O pins, am I wrong?

belae1ka:
I suppose what I meant is that having all that code in a program would theoretically create a slower response time for data being sent to and from the I/O pins, am I wrong?

Theoretically that is probably correct. In practice it won't be noticeable.

I sit on the fence regarding the question of whether what you want to do would be simpler with two or three MCUs or with port expansion using external hardware. If you would need to develop and debug 3 different MCU programs the balance would probably favour port expansion. But it a single generic program would do ... ?

...R