Is there a way to “compile” python code onto an arduino (Uno)?

I have a robotics type project with an arduino uno, and to make a long story short, I am experimenting with some AI algorithms. However, I need to implement some high level matrix algorithms that would be quite simple using numpy/scipy, but are an utter nightmare in C/++. Even with the libraries out there, this is just getting ridiculous.

Is there any way I can do this project in python? I think I heard something about the Mega having this capability, but I have an Uno, and replacing it is not an option at this point (that would set the project back quite a bit.) Also, I heard somethings about using python to communicate to the Arduino via usb, but I cannot have the usb cable in while the thing is running. I need to be able to upload the program and be done with it.

Are there any options out there, or have I just reached a dead end?

or have I just reached a dead end?

Dead end I am afraid.

Even using one of those python==>C programs would be of no help?

Depends on what sort of C it produces. I haven't seen one in action.

Arduino has special hardware calls, is restricted in RAM and a few more, that should be part of the "Python" language otherwise it cannot be converted at all. The only way to get them in Python is to make some sort of library for it. In short I think it would be possible but only with a great great effort. And be aware that the Arduino has (very probably) no room for all those python libs you might want to include. So compiling python to Arduino is not the way to go.

That said, you might build an Arduino Class in python that communicates (rs232?) with a real Arduino that does analogRead and digitalWrite etc and feeds it back to Python. Not seen such a thing yet but it would be a great contribution to the community.