Is there an IDE for my iPad?

I’m a noobie to the Arduino—got my starter kit back in November, but I’m just now getting started with the beginners training manual. Trouble is, I live on my iPad and really want to be able to do my Arduino projects on it. But after downloading the IDE files (1.8.10-macOSx) it became apparent I would need to find an app to actually write sketches on an iPad. I spent a couple hours looking at apps in the Apple store this morning, and the picture doesn’t look promising. Most of what is available from the App Store does not look anything like the stuff I see in the beginners training manual. The offerings at Apple are pretty skimpy and most have poor reviews. But there must be some of you out there who have already tackled this issue and I’m hopeful some of you can give me some advice.

Thanking you all in advance for your help,

Sodypop

Almost all "tablet" devices are left at the mercy of "third party apps" be they apple or android. The only exception being the CHROMEBOOK which is more akin to a poor mans laptop but used extensively in education and within the price range of more people.

Not really heard of anyone who has had much joy with any form of tablet and many drop back to the use of one of the "supported" devices if they want to use the Arduino IDE.

Many people still use older computer hardware which can be had cheaply enough.

Bob.

(deleted)

Tablets at this point really aren't up to most development tasks, in terms of available software. They need accessories that obviate the benefits of a tablet (ie, external keyboard and mouse) in order to make the input tolerable, too. That's probably part of the reason why nobody has bothered to get the software up to snuff. There's also the awkwardness of making the tablet act as a USB host to talk to the serial adapter...

Tablets are a really poor fit for software development; a cheap laptop will serve you much better.

I’ve got the same problem. Wanted to use my iPad Pro with external keyboard due to size of screen and desk space, something not considered here by people responding. I can’t find a way for the iPad to open downloaded files. It’s not like a computer where you can go into finder and open the download. I’ve got an old MacBook Pro but the cd that came with my elagoo doesn’t work with 2007 Os systems so I now have to buy an old copy of leopard to reinstall off eBay.

Wanted to have fun with Arduino, so far I can’t even get past the download phase.

Surely all that’s needed is a little box for coding. Why is it so difficult lol

The other option is doing it all online and buying a Bluetooth shield but even then I’ll probably have to download and open a file for no apparent reason.

I see ppl on YouTube using iPads and it seems bluetooth is the only option.

@brave-new-world

An older macbook may be fine. Not sure why Elegoo needs to be involved though ? Drivers for clones are widely available for most OS !

AKAIK only CHROMEBOOK is officially supported as far as tablet type / size goes. Probably because it is more widely used in education scenarios than the much more expensive Apple variants. Maybe if Apple had not priced themselves out of so many markets it would be better supported.

im a complete noob, but can you use VNC to the ipad somehow? i connect to my Pi that way

brave-new-world: the cd that came with my elagoo doesn’t work with 2007 Os systems

I believe you can download all that stuff from Elegoo's website: https://www.elegoo.com/download/

@brave-new-world

If it is the IDE you need you may want to stick with the official ones from this site. You can also download older releases that may suite your older macbook.

Aren't the Elegoo boards just Uno clones with a CH340G driver?

Also, while it won't help you for uploading, you can use the Create Web IDE on the iPad I think - you just can't upload with it, because the gizzardry to let the WebIDE use it's serial ports isn't available for iPad (and would probably fall afoul of App Store rules)

ballscrewbob: @brave-new-world

An older macbook may be fine. Not sure why Elegoo needs to be involved though ? Drivers for clones are widely available for most OS !

AKAIK only CHROMEBOOK is officially supported as far as tablet type / size goes. Probably because it is more widely used in education scenarios than the much more expensive Apple variants. Maybe if Apple had not priced themselves out of so many markets it would be better supported.

Thanks for your response.

I totally agree with you on apple and we'll see how the AMD v:s intel race pans out. Apple may have made a HUGE mistake there. I got gifted the ipad, that's why I was trying to use it. Plus its small and that's convenient given my desk space.

I take your point on the Elagoo CD not being needed. It just comes with some great little projects to get me started and it has the PDF's and code for a whole bunch of sensors etc that I bought as a kit.

Bare in mind I'm a total noob so following this line was like following a trail of crumbs.

I've just bought a new boot up disk for my old MacBook when that arrives I'll work online or download a suitable system.

Thanks one again.

If you can get your MAC running with the standard IDE's available on here you should still be able to use the projects from the Elegoo CD more so since Per posted the link which may also be very useful to you.

pert: I believe you can download all that stuff from Elegoo's website: https://www.elegoo.com/download/

Hi Pert

Thanks for the link.

I have tried opening files on Elagoo's website, referencing the packages I bought (Mega Starter Kit + 37 Sensor Kit) but they all seem non responsive.

I just tired again to use the accompanying CD's on my 2007 MBook pro and the library files work, the project files work but the 37 sensor PDF doesn't (weird since it's only a PDF) and the Arduino software wont load as its not usable with my current OS x.

I have just won an ebay auction for a boot disk, I will reinstall the OS x upgrading to leopard (from Tiger). That might help but its doubtful. At least then I'll have safari so I can scratch around for the appropriate Arduino package to install and get coding.

Alternatively I can download the Arduino package on my iMac, copy that too disk or a thumb drive and take it downstairs and instal it onto the Mac Book.

I'll give that a go.

ballscrewbob: If you can get your MAC running with the standard IDE's available on here you should still be able to use the projects from the Elegoo CD more so since Per posted the link which may also be very useful to you.

Just downloaded the Elagoo websites version of arduino vs. 1.8.12 and it's the same as the on on the CD and can't be recognised by my old OS X.

Could you help me locate a version of an Arduino IDE that will (is IDE the right nomenclature here)? I'm assuming its going to be an old one.

Cheers.

You can find older versions here. I suggest that you stay in the 1.8.x series first.

sterretje: You can find older versions here. I suggest that you stay in the 1.8.x series first.

Thanks

I found the page and I have downloaded the oldest version 1.0.6? (off the top of my head) and it works on the old MacBook, so I am getting somewhere finally.

I've now just downloaded 1.6.0 and also 1.8.0 so I'll see how far upon the releases I can go.

Might mean nothing but is says the version 1.8.11 is for Mac OS x 10.8 or higher.

I'm assuming then that the arduino numbers run parallel to this?

So the 1.6.0 will be for Mac OS X 10.6 or later.

My current Os X is 10.5.

This of course might not correlate at all but there is a correlation to be made based on the 1.8 Arduino and 10.8 OS x

If that is how it works, then I wont be able to go higher than 1.5.8 beta.

sterretje: You can find older versions here. I suggest that you stay in the 1.8.x series first.

Arduino version 1.6.2 does not work on Mac OS 10.4.6.

brave-new-world: I'm assuming then that the arduino numbers run parallel to this?

So the 1.6.0 will be for Mac OS X 10.6 or later.

My current Os X is 10.5.

This of course might not correlate at all but there is a correlation to be made based on the 1.8 Arduino and 10.8 OS x

If that is how it works, then I wont be able to go higher than 1.5.8 beta.

There is absolutely no correlation between the two version numbers.

I am so keen to follow this thread. I work with schools that are iPad only. I have been battling for months on a solution to this. Best I can come up with is buying a bunch of RasPi's and VNC (running Arduino IDE not the Pi). Accessing the Online Arduino IDE is easy on the iPad - but if there was a way to interface / send to Arduino - we'd be set!

ChockymilK: I am so keen to follow this thread.

Don't hold your breath for an ipad specific app. Although if memory serves me right there was another post quite some time ago about using the online IDE and an OTG cable or something similar.