Karma ??

When the site management finds a time and desire to improve this site public image I would respectfully suggest adding a new feature

Delete karma point(s)

Such feature should be accessible only to users, not administrators and "rating of karma " score owner , similar to US e-bay could also be implemented.

The reasons for my suggestion are numerous.
Some of the forum contributors are known to use foul language ( " what the s..t is this"), have overinflated egos ("... I AM spending hours correcting posts...") , are known to "teach English" instead of providing technical advise, and spewing ethic insults (",,,in Palestine"...).

They know who they are.

And the Arduino.inc does not care, been notified several times about these uncalled for posts without any action or even simple acknowledgement.

Let's get users to be judges of how effective or civilized this forum is.

Of course any remarks about the unfriendly atmosphere projected here may results in banishment for "constantly whining".

Let see if anybody cares.

I have thought the same. But there is more than enough negativity in the forum.

It would not mean much to regular users.

The positive karma is far more meaningful.

Weedpharma

I've been looking at the StackExchange model, and that seems to work pretty well, for them. They have a somewhat more complex system than mere karma, awarded to people.

Instead you have reputation, awarded as a side-effect of votes on questions and answers.

Thus, bad questions can get voted down, and good questions voted up. Similar for answers.

There is also a penalty for voting down things, which reduces your own reputation. So, for example, Vaclav who currently has 20 karma, could vote down 20 answers before he ran out of reputation for voting things down. On the other hand, someone with a lot of reputation could probably "afford" to lose some of it voting down silly questions, or silly answers.

I think this is a more balanced system than letting "just anybody" do lots of negative votes, for no penalty to them. The reputation system, basically, makes sure you have earned the right to cast negative votes. In effect, it makes sure that only a person who is well-regarded is empowered to do this. And this positive reputation has to be earned.

Let's say, hypothetically, that a certain user refused to use code tags. And it enraged other users so much that his questions (or answers) always got voted down. He would have to either stop doing that, or live with zero reputation.

Or karma could be expressed as the ratio of posts to karma points, in which case, Vaclav's 36.8 posts per point is very creditable compared to my (so much for ego!) pathetic 53 ppp, but poorer than Nick's splendid 28 ppp.

Of course, longer-term members suffer slightly in this respect, because karma was only introduced after they had accrued considerable post counts.

Vaclav:
are known to "teach English" instead of providing technical advise, and spewing ethic insults

sp. "advice", "ethnic"

Such a system would not be as good for moderators as many of their posts are house keeping. This would reduce their PPP.

However regulars would understand this and still be grateful for what they do.

Weedpharma

Criticism is not automatically wrong just because it is not welcome.

And I certainly do not favour a "thought police" that seeks to enforce a "politically correct" style for replies.

While the voting system in StackExchange is clever that "Forum" style does not lend itself to the development of discussions in the way that this Forum does.

Leave things as they are.

...R

I don’t want a thought-police formulaic posting style, but I do ask that people use code tags and post all their code so that other people reading the post can be confident they’re seeing the whole picture, exactly as the person asking the question sees their code.
In this way, eyeball-on time is optimised, and everyone benefits.

The way I read some of his rants, this simple concept seems too difficult for Vaclav to grasp.

I’ve pointed this thread out to the Arduino grown-ups, as requested.

OK, let's skip formalities ( motion, " second the motion.." , discussion, vote ).
No problema there.

I just hope "grown-ups" will post their decision in reasonable time. .

Hi Vaclav,

We do not feel having a delete karma button can be useful for our users because it feels in a too negative way.

Another consideration is that karma will be not just something appearing in the forum but as a form of trustness of the user in the community (will it be as maker or as Arduino/Genuino User).

In addition we are already late in developing new features and this one, compared to many important others mentioned here: Issues · arduino/forum-issues · GitHub looks minor.

Our goal now is to fix as many already in place issues as possible and only later implement new features. So please be patient and propose the feature later on.

Thank you for the advice, the Karma has always been a point of discussion in our team.

feels in a too negative way.
I respect your points and decision, however,since you see this as "not a priority issue" it indicates (to me) that you DIRECTLY agree with unethical behavior of SOME forum participants AKA their behavior is not perceived as negative.

CASE CLOSED

I did not understand why you say I agree with unethical behaviour.

I do think we have moderators and they are doing a lot of work to avoid the mess, no need of an extra “delete Karma” feature IMHO.

I also said “looks minor” in priority, not something will never be discussed or implemented, just not the right time now.

AWOL:
I don’t want a thought-police formulaic posting style, but I do ask that people use code tags and post all their code so that other people reading the post can be confident they’re seeing the whole picture, exactly as the person asking the question sees their code.

My reference to thought-police was not aimed at that - I agree completely.
My comment was aimed at the style in which some well-established contributors express themselves - which was specifically mentioned by the OP. I do not want to see posts interfered with for style reasons.

If a post is personally offensive that is a different matter.
But I don’t recall the well-established contributors being personally offensive.

…R

CASE CLOSED

Obviously you weren't around when the forum did have both negative karma and positive karma (or what ever it was called back then). It was became very distracting as if somebody didn't like what some one else posted (for what ever reason), then bad karma was given. Perhaps you should go look in the old forum archives to see what was going on.

AWOL:
I don't want a thought-police formulaic posting style, but I do ask that people use code tags and post all their code so that other people reading the post can be confident they're seeing the whole picture, exactly as the person asking the question sees their code.
In this way, eyeball-on time is optimised, and everyone benefits.

The way I read some of his rants, this simple concept seems too difficult for Vaclav to grasp.

I've pointed this thread out to the Arduino grown-ups, as requested.

This post is to the group.

As a rule I no longer intentionally read AWOL and others posts as my personal deference against comments such this one. I really do not need negative karma as a defense, I can wipe my own nose.

Reading this one was an accident and since AWOL continues to personally attack me at every occasion under various disguises, and have not figured out that I am ignoring him, I just feel obligated to finally let him know that I DO NOT READ his posts and he can continue his tirades at nausea.
( My loss, right?)

As far as me denying the group benefits for not posting in formal format.
Ever noticed that I am ALWAYS replying to the OP and not to the group?
If I reply to the group how does it help the OP?

And than we got "format you code properly" nagging, not only by AWOL, there are others jumping on this bandwagon.

You can cut and paste both styles - formatted or unformulated, duh!

I believe my style indirectly discourages the OP to just cut and paste my code snippets - which often leads the OP not to think about the code , just repeating it without much thought. ( Bean there, done that!)

off my soapbox

Have swell day, y'all.

AWOL continues to personally attack me at every occasion under various disguises

That's a fairly serious accusation.
I hope you've got proof :smiley:

he can continue his tirades at nausea.

sp. "ad nauseam" (see, I can correct your Latin too)

I hope everyone has noticed I'm addressing the OP here.

Vaclav:

But if as very often happens, an array index [i] gets interpreted as italics by the browser, then it's not there any more when you copy / paste and then have to hunt for where it should be to get the code to compile. That can't happen when code tags are used.

We keep telling him that, Jimbo, but it doesn’t seem to penetrate.
Plus, a code box has a handy “select” control which makes copying the contents even easier.

But now, we’re in danger of drifting OT.

Vaclav:
And than we got "format you code properly" nagging, not only by AWOL, there are others jumping on this bandwagon.

Why do you want to participate in a club yet refuse to follow simple guidelines that everyone else finds helpful.

I can't help feeling you are just looking for something to complain about.

...R

Vaclav:

I can't believe you said that. You just don't get it, do you? Even though we explained it many times.

In the absence of code tags, things like [i] get turned into italics and the [i] disappears! Do you not get that really simple point? So you cannot cut and paste both styles.

People very frequently use "i" as an index in a for loop, which is why we have many, many posts, not in code tags, that "mysteriously" (well, mysteriously to you Vaclav) turn into half italics.

@Everybody: Vaclav is wrong. AWOL and I (and the other moderators) are right.

@Vaclav: If you persist in mis-informing people that code tags are optional and just a style thing I will ban you for quite a long time. Take your nonsense to some other forum. If you object, well you know the email address of the administrators, you've written to them and complained for long enough.

PS. I had to use another sort of tag (nobbc) to make the [i] visible further up. People like Vaclav who don't use code tags don't take that extra step.

OK, as no one seems to feel comfortable to saying this:

Vaclav, sorry OP doesn't want to play by the rules.
In fact he insists to play in any way, as long as it's not following any rule or guidline.

He puts words in the mouth of persons "in charge" as he seems to think.
And these persons in charge need to be attacked and disputed by any means.

So OP, start your own site, where no rules or any guidelines are valid.
Show the world how well that will work.
And while you're busy doing that, stay as far away from this site as possible.
I'm not going to miss you at all.

A little persuasion to that by kicking him off this site wouldn't be a problem to me either.