L298N DC Motor Driver Conundrum

I am trying to control a single DC motor using a L298N DC Motor Driver. I have a 12V motor plugged into Out1 and Out2, a 7.4 volt battery wired to the 12v in and common ground, a m/m common ground going from the arduino grnd to the L298N common ground, and I have IN1 and IN2 connected to digital pins 2 and 3. I am powering the Uno with USB. I am also running a m/m wire from the Uno 5v to the L298N (I shouldn't have to) in order to power the L298N

I am using a basic code to test the motor

> int motor1pin1 = 2;
>     int motor1pin2 = 3;
>     
>     void setup() {
>       pinMode(motor1pin1, OUTPUT);
>       pinMode(motor1pin2, OUTPUT);
>      
>     }
>     
>     void loop() {  
>       digitalWrite(motor1pin1, HIGH);
>       digitalWrite(motor1pin2, LOW);
>     
>       delay(1000);
>     
>       digitalWrite(motor1pin1, LOW);
>       digitalWrite(motor1pin2, HIGH);
>     
>       delay(1000);
>     }

If I wire the 7.4v lipo battery directly to the L298N the red led doesn't go on. It only goes on when I run a 5V wire from the Uno to the L298N. Yet still I get no reaction out of the motor. However if I run a ground from the arduino directly to the out1 or out2, the motor turns in that one direction. Anyone have an idea what I am doing wrong?

Hi,
Instead of that Fritzy image can you please draw your circuit with pen(cil) and paper.
Please include your power supplies and component labels and pin names.

Do you have a DMM?

Thanks.. Tom... :grinning: :+1: :coffee: :australia:

Your old driver chip will drop about 4V so that only 4V arrive at your 12V motor. Try 15V (2 batteries) or use a modern MOSFET driver.

There are straps on the L298 board that selects things. Check them up!

I know it's enough voltage to turn the motor though because when I touch an additional ground from the arduino to the Out1 or Out2 the motor turns in that direction

Doing so may have already killed the output transistors of the driver :frowning:

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.