LCD screen with buttons

Goal: I want to develop a product that shows a list of devices on an LCD screen (10 lines, each having about 20 characters would suffice). This list can be pre-programmed (i.e. it doesn’t actually have to be linked to said devices). People can select one of the devices using an Up/Down and Select button. It would then ask them if they want to submit a service request for this selected device, after which an SMS/Email would be sent out.

I already have the SMS/Email part covered, but my main struggle lies with setting up the LCD screen. I can find a lot of tutorials for the LCD 2004 (which only displays 4 rows of text), but very few for other screens. In addition, I also can find little reference for making a navigateable list. Has anyone undertaken a similar project and can offer some guidance?

Things I particularly can use help with:
(a) Finding a low-cost (under $30 preferably) LCD screen with Arduino support
(b) a Library with some documentation on how to make a simple text-based interface

See attachment for visualization

I've had a quick look through the online catalogues of several major electronic component suppliers, and it doesn't look as though anyone makes a character display bigger than 40 x 4. So you'll either have to reformat your list to fit that, or use a graphical display and draw your own text characters.

If you create your own graphical font using a dot matrix, you might need to be careful about memory use. For the full ASCII set including lower case and punctuation, you'd need a minimum of 96 x 8 = 768 bytes, for a 7x7 matrix (allowing 1 pixel width for spacing), which is fairly low quality.

There probably are libraries to do this, but I don't know of any off the top of my head.

Good luck!

Would any of these Resistive Touch TFT screens suit your purposes?
http://www.newhavendisplay.com/tfts-c-1.html

alexmonro:
I've had a quick look through the online catalogues of several major electronic component suppliers, and it doesn't look as though anyone makes a character display bigger than 40 x 4. So you'll either have to reformat your list to fit that, or use a graphical display and draw your own text characters.

If you create your own graphical font using a dot matrix, you might need to be careful about memory use. For the full ASCII set including lower case and punctuation, you'd need a minimum of 96 x 8 = 768 bytes, for a 7x7 matrix (allowing 1 pixel width for spacing), which is fairly low quality.

There probably are libraries to do this, but I don't know of any off the top of my head.

Good luck!

Thanks.

In theory it could work I suppose if there is a ''scroll'' option for someone to alternate between ''Page 1'', ''Page 2'', and so on, and it will load 4 devices each time. It's just for user friendliness-sake that I prefer a larger display that actually can shown everything at once. There seem to be 24x8 screens from PJRC that I could use as well. I can give that a try as I would like to to not make this project too complex, with non-character based screens