LED Nametag as display - I need a USB Data logger

These guys are tiny and cheap.
I'd like to have the option to use one as a display for an Arduino project.

My intention is to install the drivers on my Windows 10 machine and connect some sort of USB data logger between the computer and the badge to record the protocol and data transmissions in both directions.

I plan on logging several different configurations and analyze the data to determine the portion that is the display data and the configuration thereof.

Then, to build a simulation of the protocol using an Arduino.

I know it will be a slow and tedious process, but it should be a great learning experience and hopefully net me a neat display and a library that I can share.

So my long winded question is what would be a suitable logger for that USB 2 data as I cannot find one?

Secondary question, is there a better/different way that will achieve the same goal? I was thinking just pop it open and extract the screen, but it's most certainly a single board configuration.

Full disclosure to avoid an X-Y problem.

Thanks everyone

I was searching for the wrong thing.
USB logger returns a bunch of products that log environmental data.
However USB sniffer lead me to this:
https://freeusbanalyzer.com/
I haven't tried it yet because the tag is still in transit to me, but it looks like it will do the job much faster than I could by myself.

I would still like opinions as to better methods if there are any to offer, please.

Generally, I have observed that high post count individuals who post questions often get no answers or at least very few. Mostly because if it was a hard enough problem for you to post about it, you would need to be very lucky to find that one of the regular crew has your solution.

A software sniffer seems like a good solution though and I observe that there are a number of others. Perhaps you could try a few out talking to a USB stick or an Arduino while you wait for your badge to arrive.

1 Like

I wonder if your badge works in the same way as Driving a scrolling LED badge from a Raspberry Pi. The author says that their badge appeared as a serial port in Windows. It looks like he figured out the protocol and was then able to control it from a Raspberry Pi.

1 Like

Thank you for the observation. I come up with about 200 questions a week. I write them on my whiteboard app until I find the answer. I answer 198 of them on my own and am usually left with the one that I ask each week here and one each week on stack exchange. So far I've been blessed with great answers to all of the important questions, but I will keep that in mind.

This is a most excellent suggestion. I will do just that while I drink my 2nd coffee today.

That is fantastic. Though I tried to avoid an X Y problem by completely disclosing my intentions here I shorted myself by not googling my intentions directly: lesson learned, hopefully.

Thanks for the link, I will dig into that.