Linear Motors With Slide

I was looking for a 100mm or 150mm Linear Motor with slide, and came across the one below, and a few questions to see if anyone has purchased one before.

If the slide goes all the way to the end, is there some built in clutch so that it doesn't strip the gears or slide? My current stepper motor with slide just doesn't have enough torque to push past so it makes a buzzing sound.

I did purchase end stop switches, but wanted to make sure before i bought 2 of these.
Or if anyone can suggest an XY "X" style slide that has 100-150mm range, that would be great. Looking for very small, as it will only hold up a small action figure.

That mechanism looks beefy enough to take running past the end, but I would avoid that if possile. Use limit switches. Use one for homing the axis. And then you can set up soft limits in software.

groundFungus:
That mechanism looks beefy enough to take running past the end, but I would avoid that if possible. Use limit switches. Use one for homing the axis. And then you can set up soft limits in software.

Thank you, I'm using the CNC Shield and have not setup limit switches before, but I'm sure I can find a tutorial. I'm guessing I would need 2 correct, 1 on each side?

Do you know of any other slides like this, that maybe are not as beefy but can be stacked in an "X"style?
When I take a look around, I either see extremely heavy duty slides, or DVD style slides.
I would like to assume, you can by a smaller XY table ready to go, but this seems to be hard to find.

You don't need two limit switches. That picture shows a stepper motor. After you have found one end of the travel then you keep count of the steps to avoid running off the other end.

Maybe instead of X-Y you pick some other arrangement that can be flatter instead of one axis passing over the top of the other? A polar coordinate system could be used or simply two actuators like those really cute string-based drawing robots.

MorganS:
You don't need two limit switches. That picture shows a stepper motor. After you have found one end of the travel then you keep count of the steps to avoid running off the other end.

Maybe instead of X-Y you pick some other arrangement that can be flatter instead of one axis passing over the top of the other? A polar coordinate system could be used or simply two actuators like those really cute string-based drawing robots.

Thanks for that info on the switch.

I'll look into those polar coordinate systems.