Linker Info in Bin file

Hi All,

I am using the Arduino IDE so this is why I dropped this question here.
With Reference to ESP8266 but it may pertain to other compiled files.
Anyway,,,

I notice in the Bin file there is some space taken up with full paths to files on the development PC.
Can all the "unwanted" paths & other Linker/Debug information be removed from the final BIN.?
I was just wondering if there was a method, or a reason why not, to do such a thing.
Somehow?, Anyhow??

As always space is a premium on Embedded stuff.
Just lots 40k to a library update and now my final bin is 2k too big for the OTA (httpUpdate) to work.

Hv.

PS. A note to the Mods.
I tried to make a quick edit and was told:
"You have exceeded the number of posts you can make in a 5 minutes period. Please try again later"

thought it was worth a mention.

At the file sizes of ESP code (over 200kB for simple sketches) the few bytes for two paths (my bin files contain only two paths, maybe more if you have multiple source files) are not really relevant.

If you want to complain about that use an espressif forum as the board package that enables ESP8266 compiles is not from Arduino.

@Pylon

No worries, I think I had mentioned it on their github page.

I don't think I was wishing to Complain.
We can talk about thing with complaining can't we.?

Although I was complaining about that 5 minute thing, but I am not alone on that.

hv.

I don't think I was wishing to Complain.
We can talk about thing with complaining can't we.?

I'm not a native speaker, so I may have the wrong understanding of the word "complain". In what I thought was the meaning of "complain" you did complain. :slight_smile:

Although I was complaining about that 5 minute thing, but I am not alone on that.

Agree, I never experienced that problem but I would complain too if I got the same message.