Lipo battery charge boards and circuits

I got the following module hoping its an all around solution for working with ws2812b leds using lipo batteries:

It charges and steps up the voltage to 5v:

https://aliexpress.ru/item/32793055741.html?spm=a2g2w.productlist.0.0.54ef2b0c6nc7ZY&sku_id=63741510157

However then I realized it does not have a protection circuit and displays an additional DD04CPMA Lithium Battery Charger Over Charge Discharge Overcurrent Protection Module Board on of the product images. Is this protection board also required for lipo batteries?

I also have a tp4056 module in hand and I'm not sure if this module can be integrated into the design. I'm also a little confused on the charging process through such boards as I know while the battery is powering the leds I should not be able to charge the battery...

Below is a possible solution I found, using tp4056 to only charge the module however im not sure if this provides any advantages at all:

Did you try it?

It depends... This is also a TP4056 based charging board, and they do have an over-discharge protection, but the cut-off is quite LOW and there is no over-current protection.

They do not allow for load sharing normally,

No it doesn't really, You can however connect a diode from 5v in to the boosters input, and a diode from the battery output to the booster input and then you could 'load-share' But the current and the voltage drop will mean reduced efficiency.

since im not familiar with lipo batteries and theres a lot of warnings I didnt want to try before asking this time.

I see a lot of projects involving tp4056 and arduinos that doesnt use much else, link.

I'm confused about the addition of DD04CPMA to this charger converter DD05CVSA board which as you say is based on tp4056.

This board seem to be marketed for Li-Ion batteries as " Li-ion Lithium Battery Charger Over Charge Discharge Overcurrent Protection Module Board" , is there also an advantage while using LIPO batteries?

I think the DD04 module is just a protection module, and would be a duplicate of what's already built into your battery. The DD05 module does charging and boost, but doesn't include any protection features, nor does it appear to have any load sharing. So while it should work with a protected battery like yours, there could still be a problem if you power the load while charging the battery.

To be honest i can't be sure if it has load sharing circuitry, not without more detailed information about this board.
Until you have information that confirms that you can use it for load-sharing, you have to assume that you can't.
The batteries protection circuit looks pretty good at first glance.

n.b. the 1A max charging current is actually a bit low for this size battery.

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.