[LMS303DLHC][WindSensor]Tilt compensation for wind sensor

Hi everybody,

I'm having some troubles with my wind sensor =S

My wind sensor may move into space on all the axis (but most of all on the z axis).

I would like to have a tilt compensation on my wind sensor. Is anyone has already implemented this solution ?
I already checked on the internet and the only tilt compensation that has been already implemented is the tilt compensation on a compass.

The compass has already 3 axis values, although my wind sensor has only one value so their algorithm cannot be transposed.

Could you please help me.
Thank in you in advance for the time you'll may give to me.

Well, anything can be compensated for a certain angle.
But can you give more info ? Which wind sensor is it ? and is there data for the windsensor with an angle ?
You talk about the 'z'-axis, I would consider that as straight up...

not sure if I completly understand your needs.

the wind sensor will report wind speed.

the tilt sensor will report location and orientation of the sensros.

if you have them both on the same mount, then the tilt sensor will report angles and direction. and the wind sensor will report speed.

you have to data log them to get usable data.

at X, Y and Z, the wind speed is 1
and X+1, Y and Z, wind speed is 1.2

Hi guys,

Thank you for your quick response.

My wind sensor is a Direction wind sensor.
Here is the documentation of the product : Wind / Rain Sensor Assembly, Argent Data Systems
(There is a pdf in the webpage.)

I'm actually not using the speed sensor because I don't need it.

Because my direction wind sensor will be put in a boat they will be some movements that I would like to compensate.
Do you think is feasible ?

Thank you

After thinking about it, I doubt if tilt compensation will make it more accurate.
Perhaps the only way to find out is to try it in a real test for a while.
Use the average of a number of samples. Perhaps 100 samples evenly spread in a second.

michwii:
Because my direction wind sensor will be put in a boat they will be some movements that I would like to compensate.
Do you think is feasible ?

NO.

I used to have a sailing boat. In my experience the wind direction from a wind vane is of little value.

As far as I know people racing small boats at Olympic standard manage without tilt compensation. What sailors would really like to know is what direction the wind will come from in the next gust.

How much error do you think you might be able to eliminate by having a tilt sensor?

...R

Peter_n:
Use the average of a number of samples. Perhaps 100 samples evenly spread in a second.

Just saw this.

The roll period of a boat - specially a sailing boat - will be very much longer than 1 second. And changes in the apparent wind direction are often far more frequent than the roll period so a longer average would be no use. The apparent wind direction changes with wind speed as well as wind direction.

...R

michwii:
my direction wind sensor will be put in a boat

That changes things a lot. If the sensor is moving and rotating in three dimensions then this will alter the wind speed and direction readings. Whether it’s possible to compensate for these would depend what you were trying to achieve and under what conditions. For example, getting wind direction on a sensor buoy might need a different approach to getting wind direction on a sail boat that is heeled over.

As far as I know people racing small boats at Olympic standard manage without tilt compensation. What sailors would really like to know is what direction the wind will come from in the next gust.

Do you think it could be a way to predict it ?

As Peter said I could take an average of the measure in a period of 10 minutes for example.
What do you think Robin ?

The apparent wind direction changes with wind speed as well as wind direction.

For you it is mandatory to include the wind speed in my measure ?

How much error do you think you might be able to eliminate by having a tilt sensor?

I don't need to be very precise I just need to give an average of the wind direction in order to help people on sail boat to choose their direction.

michwii:

Do you think it could be a way to predict it ?

NO

It was meant as a joke (sorry, it obviously didn't work)

Predicting the future at the national scale is still very imperfect for the Met Office supercomputers. Predicting at the scale of a sail boat will always be beyond them (my future prediction :slight_smile: )

...R