Logging arduino Data to a text file

Hello all!

I am working on a testing station for multi-copter props. We need to log current and voltage. I can get those values from the arduino, but I now need to save that data to a text file on the computer. I know that this is impossible using just arduino, but how else can I do it so that a text file can be saved on the laptop connected to the arduino via Serial port? Do I need processing or could I do it in any other way? Ideally, I would like to be able to do this all in C, and Python would be the next best (as those are the languages I have most experience with), but I am willing to learn a bit of java if absolutely necessary.

Thanks in advance,
Tyler

tyler_newcomb:
Hello all!

I am working on a testing station for multi-copter props. We need to log current and voltage. I can get those values from the arduino, but I now need to save that data to a text file on the computer. I know that this is impossible using just arduino, but how else can I do it so that a text file can be saved on the laptop connected to the arduino via Serial port? Do I need processing or could I do it in any other way? Ideally, I would like to be able to do this all in C, and Python would be the next best (as those are the languages I have most experience with), but I am willing to learn a bit of java if absolutely necessary.

Thanks in advance,
Tyler

Isn't one post on this topic enough ? ? ? >:(

Aren't some terminal programs capable of logging serial input to a file? RealTerm has the capture feature (I have not used it) that logs to a file in different formats.

I think I already posted an approach in your other post, reposting here again.

repost from http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=409513.msg2818072#msg2818072

If you have any wifi module like ESP8266, then you can attach the wifi module to your Uno. Then host a very simple REST service in your laptop using a NodeJs and Express.

Call this REST service from Uno and Nodejs service can log the data in any format you wanted.

He is wasting people’s time when he does.

Highly disrespectful.

I thought that I had posted on another forum, I apologize for the inconvenience.

sarouje:
If you have any wifi module like ESP8266, then you can attach the wifi module to your Uno. Then host a very simple REST service in your laptop using a NodeJs and Express.

Call this REST service from Uno and Nodejs service can log the data in any format you wanted.

I will look into this, thank you for the advice.

tyler_newcomb:
I know that this is impossible using just arduino,

Nonsense. You smply print to a proper terminal like RealTerm and record the data as a CSV. You do this in exactly the same way as you would to the serial monitor. Yoiu can even timestamp the data using the PC clock if you need.