Long range color sensor

Is there any color sensor that points to a direction and outputs the color of the object? Just like a distance sensor but instead of giving the range, it will give the color.

1. Add a lens of some sort to one of the available color sensors.
  2. Camera with telephoto lens, followed by image processing.

I thought about using a camera module but I think its an overkill

It is not, and is quite tricky to get going, depending on what you want to do. Although you can get the colour of a pixel, or more likely the average of a bunch of pixels. The colour to get back so much depends on the lighting conditions, that is the strength, direction and colour temperature of the light I had a hard time getting reliable recognition of colours, and I was using a Raspberry Pi and openCV to do the processing.

Here is my best effort

Google "Arduino PixyCam"
Leo..

There are a few actually.

OP wanted long range.
All three sensors are (very) close range.
Long range requires a camera with a tele lens.

I read somewhere that the old pixy had a fitting for a different lens, but the new model has not.
That stopped me from trying one.
Leo..

I am trying to get the object's color within 0-3 meters, is there actually a color sensor with a lens or some sort of thing?

Pixy2 camera

Mike, that prototype is awesome (impressive.)

Ray

1 Like

Having experience with this issue back in my research days of the mid-70's I can say generally that the problem comes down to "luminace" and selecting the correct color-space.

Luminance however is the more critical when dealing with digital sensors.
IF, you have your objects within a known color frame, the detection of unknown colors can be significantly easier. If you can vary the illumination of the objects (spotlighting) with a known spectrum, that also will assist. Color sensors are notorious for being non-linear with spectrum.

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.