LoRa record distance now 730,360km

"The signal was amplified to 350w using the 25-metre dish of the Dwingeloo Radio Observatory in the Netherlands"

Hi,
I find it hard to put that down to Lora.

the signal was amplified to 350w using the 25-metre dish of the Dwingeloo Radio Observatory in the Netherlands.

Amplified to 350W!!!!
Isn't Lora supposed to be a LOW Power long distance system.

Amateur radio operators have been doing it for years, with less.

https://rsgb.org/main/technical/space-satellites/moonbounce/

Tom.... :smiley: :+1: :coffee: :australia:

Hello
Take a view here to get more details:

Thomas is a radio amateur as I recall.

Here is a presentation he gave of the first LoRa from space;

(I make an appearance @ 25:40)

This is not a surprizing if you apply the path loss equation! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free-space_path_loss#Free-space_path_loss_formula

EME is a well tested RF path, and yes 100's of watts are needed normally, but if you reduce the bandwidth requirement the power requirement drops per the equation.

I would place that accomplishment into a class together with some land speed records, for example where people take a standard jet fighter and attach automobile wheels to it, so they can call it a "car".

Some more details here and a teaser for a report and data to be released: First LoRa® message bounced off the moon

Hi,
LoRa (from "long range") is a proprietary low-power wide-area network modulation technique.

That was not a Lora signal, 350W, that is not low power so it cannot be classed as a Lora Record Distance.

Tom... :smiley: :+1: :coffee: :australia:

And I bet a LoRa receiver was NOT used. Nor was a hobby LoRa antenna used.
Paul

I'm thinking it is poor wording based on deficient technical knowledge. I am thinking the high gain antenna raised the Effective Radiated Power, not the actual radiated power.

gain antennas concentrate power in one direction, versus omni antennas. a 25 meter dish has a 3 db down beamwidth of .1 degree. Imagine all the sunlight hitting the earth concentrated in a 6 mile diameter circle, but outbound.

Well whatever,

Apparently;

"For a short moment the entire message was in space, in between the Earth and the Moon. We transmitted the signal with a Semtech LR1110 RF transceiver chip (in the 430-440 Mhz amateur band), amplified to 350 Watt, using the 25 meter dish of the telescope. Then, 2.44 seconds later, it was received by the same chip"

Guess so. 25 meter dish. Too big for my back yard!

I can accept NORMAL Lora power and a high gain antenna, but not adding 350W to it.

The whole thing smells of a marketing stunt - I bet if you put the numbers into the pathloss equation the result isn't at all impressive compared to the state of the art for moonbounce - radio amateurs don't generally have 25m dishes with maser front-ends and manage this with less power, although you'd have to check the relative bandwidths to figure a proper comparison.

LoRa-Alliance are still saying that the record is 766km.

What country allows LEGAL transmission of Lora at 350W?

Imagine what "Karen" of the home owners association would say.

Our HOA is from 1972, before the Ranch even had electricity. Any communication was CB radio. There was one telephone for 5500 acres and that was a radio interface to a land line. So no antenna restrictions, not much of any other restrictions, either.
Paul

1 Like

Bit out of date;

Also by Thomas Telkamp.

Hi,
You would class it as an "Out of This World" record.

730,360km for the furthest distance such a data message has travelled.

That is a bit of a stretch , Canberra DSN has been chatting digitally to Voyager 2 for ages.
Even before the upgrade.
Because of the fact that Voyager 2 is below the solar ecliptic, only southern hemisphere DSN can communicate with it.

Interesting site; DSN Now

(PS, Make ya proud to be an Aussie, Aussie, Aussie... Oi Oi Oi...)
(PPS. Another misnomer, Aussies hate FOSTERS BEER..)