Male-to-Male Pin header jumper cables too short: soldering solution?

Good afternoon everybody! i'm currently in the last stages of constructing a homemade desk lamp. problem is, after the male to male jumper cords come through the gooseneck for the lamp they become too short. this lamp needs to be done asap for testing and a presentation. is there a feasible way to solder two of the wires together in order to get a little more length?

Here is an image of the lamp neck and top, showing the short length of the cords. confuses me how almost one and a half feet of cord can just disappear in 7 inches of plastic.

what do you plan on powering? those wires are very flimsy and not meant to carry current. I'd recommend going to the hardware store and getting 18awg wire and using that. You can solder it to the board and to your lights without extensions.

I assume those are NeoPixels may be 14 * 60ma = 720ma total current if all LEDs are on. So the wires may be OK.

Just cut the wires in half and solder a small length of wire in the middle of the three wires.

1 1/2 feet for each wire?

Thanks for your replies! This project isn't going to be something high powered, as these wires will be used for the following: Bringing 5V power from a wall socket (DC terminal)to the light Bringing a combination of an Arduino's ground and the terminal ground to the light Bringing input data from the Arduino to the light.

The one that would be the longest would be the input data, because it has to reach a breadboard inside of the lamp base far away from the light.

the light being powered is a ring light, 12 leds

The data pin should have 470 resistor in series if this is a neopixel. Length should work to at least 2.5 feet, no problem. The +5 to GND should have 470-1000 uF cap at the PCB.

Have you see: https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-neopixel-uberguide?view=all

Darn it, that may be an issue. the Resistor, at least. so far, i have the resistor and the capacitor, the main issue is the ohms of the resistor. i have a 320 or 340 ohm resistor, and the only other one that i have is a 1.3K.

300-500 is okay. .

Thank you all so much for your advice. i'm not a expert at handling electronics this way (usually stick to software), so this thread has assisted me immeasurably. I'm going to begin soldering immediately, as i have just finished stripped the bottom of the desired wires for their ends.

Remember to tape or heat shrink joints ;) .

Lovell: Here is an image of the lamp neck and top, showing the short length of the cords. confuses me how almost one and a half feet of cord can just disappear in 7 inches of plastic.

Check that the wires haven't gotten tangled in the tube. That corrugated stuff is really good at snagging wire ends!

I'll bet your lamp will be really cool when you are done with it. (by the way, nice manicure. ;P )

Lovell: Here is an image of the lamp neck and top, showing the short length of the cords. confuses me how almost one and a half feet of cord can just disappear in 7 inches of plastic.

It can't can it? I suggest you get a piece of flexible "tongue" like electricians use (otherwise known as "snake"), and use that to pull the wire through properly, rather than trying to push it. Failing that, use a stiffer wire to get through the pipe without it folding in on itself in the middle, and use that to pull your cable through.

You can get suitable stiff-ish tongue from the join made in flooring between one piece of chipboard and another (it gets put into the groove).