mbed.org ??

there are a few platforms that can be programmed using mbed

http://mbed.org/platforms/

they use the arm processor and it is pretty fast

dos anyone have any opinions ?

Well this is an Arduino forum, so I imagine if you want to hear positive things about it, you should go over to their forum.

I looked at mbed briefly 1-2 years ago. Their processor was at a higher price point than I wanted to pay, and I did not like their programming model where in the default case, you had to use their internet based compiler.

If you want to program on an Arm using the Arduino IDE/libraries, I highly recommend the Teensy 3.0 from pjrc.com: Teensy USB Development Board

Alternatively, there are various Arm processors using Linux that you can use, rasberry pi, Beagle Bone Black, pcDunio, etc. Rasberry Pi has the most mind share, but I've heard good things about Beagle Bone Black (BBB). The BBB folks are helping to design the Arduino Tre, which should be available next year (Tre runs Linux on the Arm and Arduino on the Leonardo type chip that is included, similar in concept to the Yun, which uses a MIPS chip instead of Arm).

I never liked the online compiler thing from day one and never returned to look at the platform after that. Although I did hear that you can work with them offline it was never officially supported IIRC and so of no interest to me (and a lot of other people).

It certainly seems to have spread out though since I last looked.

Rob

I bought a KL25Z and so far am actually quite impressed

yes the online compiler is pretty odd !

programming the boards is simple - you drag and drop a file to the usb drive and press the reset button !

the price of some of the boards is very cheap approx 20 dollars

my concerns are the lack of libaries etc and a useful forum like this one !

the teensy 3.0 is an arm processor - but is it arduino code compatible ?

i will take a look at the BBB stuff

cheers for your input

Gadget999:
the teensy 3.0 is an arm processor - but is it arduino code compatible ?

In general yes. In fact the installation is to install a clean version of Arduino 1.0.5, and then the installer part overlays the changed bits. I can use the same IDE to program my Uno and my Teensy 3.0, simply by changing the board type and upload method.

There are some issues, but I routinely move stuff between an Uno and the Teensy 3.0. Things that 'know' about hardware registers (port in/out/etc.) or interrupts probably doesn't translate too well, but at the digitalWrite, digitalRead, AnalogRead, AnalogWrite level it is compatible.

Like all Arms, the Teensy 3.0 runs at 3.3v, so you need to make sure anything you move from a standard Arduino to a Teensy is 3.3v safe, or use level shifters. It uses a DIP-28 packing, so it doesn't support the historical Arduino shields (complete with the spacing botch), but DIP-28 is easier to use on breadboards/perfboards/etc.

Here is the library url that discusses what works, and what doesn't work: Teensyduino: Using Arduino Libraries with Teensy USB development board