Mechanical Colour Television Using Arduino Due

This is a mechanical colour television that I built using the Arduino Due. It uses a 32 hole disk, so there are 32 lines of vertical resolution. Horizontally, there are 96 pixels in each line, though the effective resolution is limited by the hole size. Video and audio data are read from a micro SD card using the hardware SPI bus. 24-bit true colour is produced using three 8-bit DACs communicating over a separate bit-banged SPI bus. Mono audio output is produced using one of the two 12-bit DACs included on the Arduino Due. Additional circuitry is implemented on the main board for controlling the LED currents and for audio amplification. A software PID loop is used for motor control allowing the frame rate to precisely match that of the camera.

4 Likes

Very impressive. It looks like you are following in the footsteps of John Logie Baird. It might benefit, however, from a more comprehensive description.

John Logie Baird was definitely an inspiration. Paul Nipkow had the idea in the 1880’s, but it took until Baird’s time in the 1920’s to make it work. Unfortunately, I’m at least a hundred years too late.

Regarding documentation, it’s never been my strong suit, but I’ll see what I can do. I’m happy to answer any questions in the meantime.

WELL IMPRESSED ! ! ! :star_struck:

Outstanding piece of work!

Here’s another video with some more details…